Students react to marijuana shop, Linfield petition

Adam Myren, Staff Writer

Linfield students have mixed reactions to the prospective marijuana dispensary and cannabis juice-bar in the former Jakes Deli building.

Carlee Parsley, ’16, a Creative Writing major, said Tuesday that she would sign a petition to ban Green Heart Oregon so close to campus “because I think they wouldn’t allow a bar to set up there.”

Connor Wells, ’17, a Computer Science major, said he has not signed the petition because “I don’t think a dispensary will change the culture on campus; it also doesn’t personally affect me.”

Wells also said the Linfield pre-school in Potter Hall is far enough away from the proposed pot shop at Linfield Avenue and Baker Street that it should not be a concern.

ASLC President Alex Ogle found the possible location of the dispensary, “bad for the college’s image. It has nothing to do with people smoking marijuana but more so the dispensary being on the college’s doorstep.”

A junior Business Marketing major who chose to remain anonymous said, “no matter where the dispensary is, people will go to it if they want to. Linfield is supposed to be a place for adults.”

A senior Communications major who chose to remain anonymous also said, “I didn’t agree with the petition. To me, it doesn’t make a big difference because in college, you should be able to make your own decisions; people shouldn’t have to look out for you every step of the way.”

Piikea Kailio, a senior Mathematics major, perceived a mixture of attitudes towards marijuana, “The main opposition from Linfield is to receive federal funding. Personally, I don’t participate but don’t see a problem.”

Wells, also mentioned, “People [smoke] and it’s easy to catch them. I have no personal opinion on whether it’s right or wrong, just against policy.”

The junior Business Marketing major viewed the student body’s opinion of marijuana as generally accepting, “I think Linfield is leaning towards the pro-marijuana side. I haven’t met many people that are totally against it, just a few who choose not to participate.”

The senior Communications major said, “Most people that do use it, do so in a way that doesn’t bother others … I haven’t run into anyone who’s opposed to it because it just hasn’t come up as a problem.”

ASLC President Ogle said, “Especially now that it’s legalized at the state level, students don’t seem to find it a moral or legal issue. I mean—we live in Oregon!”