Students volunteer during national service day

Emily Eisert, Opinion editor

Linfield students and parents participated in a national day of service on Saturday morning.

Around 50 people engaged in service around the McMinnville area and were able to work with community partners.

Make a Difference Day is a national day of service that Linfield participated in and was registered on their website. People have been participating in it for over 20 years.

Millions of people from other schools and communities participated in service nationwide on Saturday morning.

The day fell on parents weekend, which allowed parents to volunteer alongside their children.

“They get to show their family how Linfield comes together to serve,” said sophomore Hannah Ellsworth, director of days of service and special events.

Groups also served together such as residence halls.

There were a variety of locations people served at including the McMinnville Public Library, Kids on the Block, the McMinnville Community Garden, Yamhill County Gospel Rescue Mission, Tyce Woods and the McMinnville Coop.

These days of service are important to connect students with the greater McMinnville community.

Junior Deizhanna Kaya-Abad volunteered at the McMinnville Community Center working with Kids on the Block.

“My favorite part was being able to help out a program that I previously worked with,” said Kaya-Abad.

Each of the sites offered a different opportunity for students to connect with the community.

Students were able to work outside at Tyce Woods, whereas at the McMinnville Coop students served meals to community members and then cleaned up.

These days of service are a great way for students to get out in the community and explore beyond the Linfield campus.

“It gives students the opportunity to give back to the community and get to know each other,” said Ellsworth.

There are two more days of service this school year.