Twins thrive on healthy competition

lovelltwins.jpg

-Photo By Rachael Palinkas/Photo Editor

Katie Paysinger

Review staff writer

They used to be called twins. Or maybe just Lovells. Now people have gotten the hang of it and call them by their proper names, Josh and Jeremy, with only the occasional mix-up.

The brothers are sophomores at Linfield and identical twins. They compete on the track and field team and are two of less than a handful of students competing in the decathlon.

In a decathlon, an athlete competes in 10 events. The Lovells compete in the 100-, 400- and 1500- meter races, high and long jumps, shotput, discus, javelin, pole vault and 110 hurdles.

The brothers are roommates on campus and have been competing in sports and going to school together all their lives.

“There is always someone to compare yourself to,” Josh said. “It is cool to be able to relate to someone so closely when we’re competing.”

Garry Killgore, head coach of the track and field team, said he is happy the twins chose to participate in Linfield’s program.

“Originally they came here to play both football and track,” he said. “This year, they decided to focus on just one sport, and we’re lucky they chose track. Usually, it’s the other way around.”

Killgore said he thinks the duo made the right academic decision in choosing Linfield.

“They are good students,” Killgore said. “They wanted to come to a school that had good academics, as well as a good sports program.”

As one can imagine, the brothers are natural competitors with each other.

“We never really take it too far,” Josh said. “If he does better in an event, I know I can do just as good or better.”

As the  season progresses, Josh said fans will notice alternating wins by each brother.

If one wins one week, the other will know he can do better next week and improve his score.

Competing in many events gives reason for the Lovells to put out extra effort, sometimes practicing two hours more than their teammates.

“We work hard,” Jeremy said. “We have a really good team this year though, so it makes it easier for everyone to work together.”

Killgore said he is constantly impressed with the twins’ drive.

“They work so hard, which is rare for someone at their talent level,” Killgore said. “It was very gratifying to learn that they understand they can always get better.”

The twin Wildcats have always been close. Having never lived in separate rooms for more than a year and half, the Lovells do have their occasional conflict.

“With cleaning, doing the dishes and laundry, there’s always (a) ‘whose turn it is’ type thing,” Josh said. “Basic roommate stuff, I guess.”

Jeremy said he is not so sure.

“He is kind of messy,” he said. “I try and put up with it though.”

People tend to be surprised when they find out that is the extent of the brothers’ arguments.

Josh said they cannot read each other’s minds, which can be prevalent in twin siblings, but they do tend to think alike.

“Sometimes we catch ourselves singing the same song,” Josh said. “But nothing to the point of reading his mind. Actually, I don’t know if I would want to read his mind.”

Jeremy’s goal for the season is to return to nationals in Wisconsin. He would like to reach a score of 7,000 this year, which is an increase of 409 points from his score last season.

“It is a combined score of all 10 events,” Jeremy said. “I think 7,000 is reachable. I would have to have a very good day, but I think it’s doable.”

Jeremy recently hurt his leg pole vaulting. He was unable to compete in last week’s meet and is not competing this weekend.

“I am going to try and make it back for the Spring Break decathlon,” he said.

Channeling their emotions is a key component of the twins’ success, Killgore said.

“They’re goofy,” he said. “But they’re able to stay really relaxed under pressure. They get really focused when it’s time to compete.”

The next competition for the track and field team will be March 15 at 9 a.m. at the Frank Haskin Invitational in Newberg.