Umpire’s nudge sparks Leyland tirade

Grant Lucas
Sports editor Following a three-run home run by Miguel Cabrera in the seventh inning, Detroit Tiger outfielder Magglio Ordonez stepped up to the plate with no outs.
After falling behind in the count, home plate umpire Paul Schrieber rang Ordonez up on a controversial breaking ball.
Just as surprised by the call as the rest of the nation, Ordonez turned to Schrieber to disagree with the call. Schrieber told him to move along and return to the dugout. Ordonez disobeyed the command, continuing to calmly argue the call. Schrieber then made a decision that caused Tiger manager Jim Leyland to erupt.
Schrieber reached out, placed his left hand on Ordonez’s back and gently nudged him in the direction of the Detroit bench. Ordonez stopped immediately and said, “What are you doing?”
Leyland stormed out of the dugout and sprinted up to Schrieber, screaming at him like a parent would a teenager. If you were watching this situation unfold, you’d be able to read Schrieber’s lips as Leyland gave him the business: “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down.” Needless to say, Leyland was thrown out of the game.
The phrase “calm down” better be his response after Major League Baseball deals with him. If the MLB doesn’t suspend Schrieber for this, then there’s a double standard.
If the tables were turned and Ordonez had placed his hand on Schrieber’s back, he’d not only be suspended but also fined for his actions.
In 2007, umpire Mike Winters was suspended for the final five games of the regular season for using profanity that was aimed at Padres outfielder Milton Bradley.
This was an intentional effort to move Ordonez along, though Schrieber said otherwise in an apology issued May 14. Leyland understood this but also added, “You can’t do that.” He said he hopes Schrieber is not suspended.
“He didn’t try to create a problem,” Leyland said. “It was just a reaction. It doesn’t warrant any type of discipline, maybe other than a fine. I hope we both get fines and turn the page.”