Softball slips to No. 2 in NFCA

Kurtis Williams

The softball team suffered its first loss of the Northwest Conference season last weekend, falling 4-0 to Pacific University.
A grand slam in the second inning by Pacific junior right fielder Jessie Garcia was all the offense the game offered, as Pacific junior pitcher Miranda McNealy stifled Linfield bats, allowing only five hits.
In addition to the loss, the ’Cats may have lost senior pitcher Kendra Strahm as she was taken out of the game because of knee pain.
“I learned [April 22] from the doctors that they don’t think my ACL is torn, which is fabulous news,” Strahm said.
While the doctor encouraged her to get an MRI, she has decided to wait until graduation. Strahm said if the doctor says it is torn, it gives her a reason not to play.
“I need to get better for my team for regionals,” Strahm said. “Regionals start two weeks from today, that’s my goal.”
Strahm was limited two years ago by an injury to the same knee an injury that required surgery. That injury, coupled with the partial tear of the UCL in the throwing arm of senior ace Brittany Miller, has placed other, less experienced players in their positions.
Fortunately for Linfield, pitching is an area where the team has depth. Freshman pitcher Lauren Harvey only allowed two hits in four-and-one-third innings of relief.
During the second game, Miller was in top form in a 3-1 win. Miller struck out 18 of the 21 outs in the game, allowing three hits and one walk. During the game Miller struck out everyone in the Boxer lineup at least once.
The offense was led by freshman shortstop Staci Doucette, who scored twice after her two hits.
Sophomore second baseman Alex Hartmann drove Doucette in with a double in the second inning; and she herself was driven in by sophomore left fielder Kayla Hubrich. Junior first baseman Candice Fujino got Doucette home on a fielder’s choice in the third.
On April 19, Miller started the first game and again stumped the Boxer offense in a 4-0 victory.
Miller struck out 12 and only gave up one hit and one walk. She lowered her ERA to .52 qualifying for fourth in D-III and seventh across all divisions.
Miller’s week earned her title of the Louisville Slugger/NFCA D-III co-national Player of the Week.
Fujino, Hartmann and Harvey all had a run batted in during the game. The Wildcat offense, one of the best ranked in the country, could only manage four hits.
On the strength of junior pitcher Samantha Van Noy’s two-hitter, Linfield won the last game 4-0.
Doucette had two hits, two runs batted in and got on base all four times she appeared.
Before traveling to
Tacoma, Wash., for a make-up game against the University of Puget Sound on April 22, the ’Cats fell to No. 2 in the latest National Fastpitch Coaches Association poll.
The drop did not affect the team as Linfield found its bats, winning 14-2. The team was led by Hartmann and Doucette, both who had a homerun, two RBIs and three hits. Miller allowed two hits and two runs in five innings. Sophomore third baseman Emily Keagbine added a three-run homerun and freshman center fielder Jaydee Baxter hit a solo shot.
With the wins, the Wildcats advanced their record to 34-3 on the season and 24-1 in the NWC.
The ’Cats finish the regular season this weekend against Willamette University. The four-game tilt begins April 25 in Salem and finishes up in McMinnville on April 26. Both double headers begin at noon. One win in the coming series and Linfield can clinch at least a tie of its sixth straight NWC title.