Baseball drops to No. 3, fights for NWC

Grant Lucas

The Linfield baseball team split its four-game series with Willamette University, dropping to third place in the Northwest Conference.
In the series opener, junior pitcher Reese McCulley threw a complete game, holding the Bearcats to one run on six hits and earning his seventh victory.
The Wildcats did all their damage in the first inning, exploding for five runs on six hits.
Senior right fielder Stew Davis led the way for Linfield, tallying three hits on the day.
The ’Cats jumped ahead early in the nightcap with a four-run lead after six innings. In the top of the seventh, Willamette strung together a few hits, scoring three runs and cutting the Wildcat lead to one run.
Bearcat senior infielder Kyle Stalker tied the game with a solo home run in the eighth. Senior Jack McGee then doubled and, after advancing to third on a wild pitch, scored on a sacrifice fly by freshman outfielder Mitchell Rowan.
Freshman outfielder Zach Boskovich was sent in to pinch-hit for the Wildcats in the eighth inning, tying the game with his fourth home run of the year.
In the top of the ninth, sophomore infielder Doug Bloom proved to be clutch. With a runner on second and two outs in the inning, Bloom doubled to right center field, bringing in the go-ahead run.
McGee came in to close the home half of the inning, retiring the Wildcats in order.
On April 19, senior pitcher Cam Larson celebrated his senior day appropriately, lasting six innings while giving up only one run.
The Wildcats provided Larson with plenty of insurance, tallying 13 runs in the first five innings.
A seven-run second inning was highlighted by a two-run home run by sophomore catcher Cole
Bixenman and a two-run single by junior outfielder Tyson Smith.
Senior outfielder Ty Stanley had a three-for-three day at the plate with three RBIs and a run scored.
In the final game of the series, the Wildcats took the lead in the bottom of the third, scoring three runs, putting them ahead by one run. After Stanley doubled, Smith brought him in with a double of his own. Bixenman capped off the inning with a two-run single to center field.
With one out in the top of the sixth, Bloom singled. He then scored after two more Bearcat hits. With runners on the corners, Stalker was intentionally walked, loading the bases. Freshman pitcher Bryon Clevenger failed to come to a complete set, resulting in a balk call and forcing home the go-ahead run.
Linfield stands alone in third place at 21-7 in NWC play, three games behind the first-place George Fox University. Willamette improves its record to 14-13 in the NWC, sitting alone in fourth place.
In order to earn a share of the NWC title, the Wildcats need to win three of four games against George Fox on April 25 and 26 in Newberg, Ore. They also need Pacific Lutheran University to split its series with the University of Puget Sound.