Miller owns the field despite partial UCL tear

Kurtis Williams
Review staff writer

Senior softball pitcher Brittany Miller hasn’t thrown her best this season. A year ago during the team’s annual trip to California, Miller noticed pain in her arm, but she pushed through, helping the Wildcats to a 38-6 record and a berth to the Division III West Regional.
During the summer, Miller was diagnosed with a partial tear in her UCL, a ligament in the elbow. She had two options: surgery or risk tearing the ligament completely.
The doctors told Miller the surgery and recovery process would take two years to complete, time she could not regain. Miller continued to throw in pain.
Miller said she had not pitched well the week before the Wildcats’ April 10 game against Pacific Lutheran University. She said her best pitch, the curve ball, was off, and her new pitch, the screwball, is not yet ideal.
Her pitching technique worked, though. Miller threw a no-hitter against the Lutes while striking out nine for a 7-0 win.
Fans of baseball know that no-hitters do not happen very often. For Miller, though, it was nothing new. She has had her share of memorable moments in a softball uniform.
“I threw a perfect game two years ago down in California against Claremont, and I have a couple other no-hitters through high school,” Miller said, recalling her performances. “I think I’ve had one or two other ones here.”
At the risk of tearing the ligament completely, the doctors said at best Miller might be able to pitch 20 innings this season, a year after throwing more than 130. As of April 11, she has thrown 53.
“It’s an everyday-type thing,” Miller said, referring to the pain. “Some days it’s better than others. As long as I’m effective, I’ll be able to throw.”
Head coach Jackson Vaughan has limited Miller’s workload this year, giving her crucial days off in between weekend games.
The coaches and trainers keep a close eye on Miller. When her speed drops, they know she is done for that day. She said she will not always say something when she is hurting.
Ailing or not, Miller has helped the top-ranked softball team in the country, according to the Nationals Fastpitch Coaches Association, boast a 29-2 overall record 19-0 in the Northwest Conference.
Miller’s style lends itself to some trying times. Her best pitch is her rise ball, one that lifts on the 43-foot distance from pitcher to home plate. Because of the trajectory, hitters contact with the ball is most commonly made on the top of the bat, popping the ball into the air. With 200-foot fences, any ball hit has the potential to be dangerous.
“It gets scary when that pitch isn’t working,” Miller said.
Miller continues to throw to the other team’s dismay. She currently has a 9-1 record, with an earned run average of 0.53. As of April 12, that is sufficient for fifth in Division III, although the NCAA requires a minimum of 80 innings.
It is helpful to all pitchers to have a good team to back them up. Miller has one of the best teams in the country supporting her prowess in the circle.
The Wildcat defense ranks 15 in Division III out of 363 teams.
“The fielders had a lot to do with it, too,” Miller said of her no-hitter. “My infield and outfield definitely played a huge role in helping me out.”
Linfield’s offense is something opposing teams do not like to deal with, either.
The Wildcats rank in the top 10 in the following offensive categories: batting average (eighth), home runs per game (ninth), doubles per game (eighth) and slugging percentage (sixth).