No bright outcome despite sunny weather

Keith Mader
Sports editor

The women’s golf team was two strokes from a victory against Pacific University.
In a home match April 5 at Michelbook Country Club, sophomore Brynn Hurdus had the best score of the day shooting an 82, and junior Brittany Johnston had the third best with an 85.
“I was excited to go play and prove to myself and others that I could improve from my past scores,” Johnston said.
In Linfield’s first home match, the ’Cats were pleased to play at a course they knew well.
“I love Michelbook,” Johnston said. “Not only is it my home course, but I pretty much live there since I work there five days a week.”
Other than the familiarity of it, Johnston said she enjoys the composition of the course.
“Michelbook isn’t as difficult of a course because it is flat, has good bunkers to hit out of and the greens aren’t as crazy as Chambers,” she said.
With a season of unpredictable weather, the Wildcats were pleased with the sun April 5.
“The weather was such a relief,” Hurdus said. “It made being out on the course so much fun, and I think overall it was a huge influence on everyone’s game.”
The ’Cats said they felt that the weather played a role in their scores.
“A lot of us were more laid back in the sense that we were looking forward to playing and just wanted to have a good time, and I think that helped us,” Johnston said.
Linfied had a team total of 356 as opposed to Pacific’s 354.
“I am very happy with how our team has pulled through; a majority of us have improved, and that’s all that matters,” Johnston said. “All we are looking for is to improve over time so that we will win at conference.”
Hurdus, successful this year, including three top-five finishes, said she is satisfied with the team’s progress.
“Everyone has different strengths and such incredible potential, and considering we have so much room to grow, the team is continuing to prove at each tournament, that even when we do not play our best, we are still up there right along with everyone else,” Hurdus said.
With one match remaining until nationals, the Wildcats are confident about their chances.
“I have no doubt in that we will be attending nationals very soon,” Hurdus said.
The Wildcats play Pacific in Forest Grove, Ore., on April 18.