Change in green is bittersweet

Keith Mader
Sports editor
The women’s golf team achieved a third-place finish in the Northwest Conference Spring Classic on March 30 and 31.
Linfield was led by sophomore Brynn Hurdus who shot an 83 March 30 and finished with 176 for the tournament. She placed third overall.
“I think I played better the first day in that I putted better and was really focused,” Hurdus said. “Everything was clicking. The second day wasn’t as good. My putts weren’t dropping, and when that happens, it’s hard to do well.”
The ’Cats were successful as sophomore Katie Kilborn shot 187 for 10 place, freshman Sophie Corr shot 193 and junior Brittany Johnson shot 196.
Linfield contended with the wind during the Spring Classic as well as drier greens than it was used to.
“Each tournament so far we have faced some sort of condition that we weren’t expecting,” freshman Lydia Smith said. “At Pumpkin Ridge, there was terrible weather, and at Chambers Bay Golf Course, it was really windy and the greens were swampier than we were used to, and that made it tough.”
Some Wildcats embraced the change in the course.
“I liked the Chambers Bay course,” Hurdus said. “There weren’t as many trees and I liked that the greens moved a little bit faster. Each tournament we’ve had to deal with the course and weather and we’ve done a great job of adjusting,”
With one more tournament that counts toward their possibility of going to Nationals, the Wildcats hope to improve their game.
“It works on a point system and we currently stand in fifth place in the Northwest Conference. We are six points behind leader Whitworth and if we can pass them then we will be able to go to Nationals. It’s entirely possible and all we need to do is work hard,” Hurdus said.
Linfield plays Pacific University next at Michelbook Country Club for a dual meet April 4.