Baseball: Wildcats catch win

Photo by Chris Woods
Photo by Chris Woods

Grant Lucas
Review staff writer

After heavy snowfall forced a location change from Spokane, Wash., to McMinnville, the Linfield baseball team wrapped up a four-game sweep of Whitworth University on March 9.
The Wildcats set the tone for the series March 8 in a nail-biting first game.
In the first inning, sophomore catcher Cole Bixenman drove in the first run of the game with a single. Later that inning, Bixenman scored on a double steal.
A two-out rally in the second inning led to two more runs for the Wildcats. Junior outfielder Tyson Smith beat out an infield single that kept the inning alive.
After stealing second, Smith scored on a single by sophomore infielder Eric Evenson.
The Pirates rallied back during the next two innings. In the fourth, with the bases loaded and one out, junior outfielder Dan Belet achieved a two RBI single, bringing Whitworth within a run of Linfield. Two batters later, senior outfielder Mitch Ramsay drove in the tying run with an opposite-field base hit.
In the top of the ninth, Evenson drew a leadoff walk and was forced to second by sophomore infielder Dustin Smith. After a Bixenman blooper to right field, senior designated hitter Stew Davis was clutch, serving up a fly ball down the left field line and driving in the game-winning run.
With momentum on its side, Linfield began the nightcap with authority. Senior first baseman Don Bard doubled to center field, driving in the first three runs of the game and sparking a four-run inning.
Senior Cameron Larson started on the hill, allowing only three hits through six innings of work and giving up one run.
Linfield accounted for 14 hits during the second game, led by freshman outfielder Zach Boskovich, who went 3-4 at the plate.
The Wildcats continued the series March 9, showing the fans a repeat performance.
Davis delivered in the second inning with a solo home run, giving Linfield the early lead.
Whitworth evened the game out in the fourth inning when junior catcher Chris Bartenhagen drove in freshman infielder J.R. Jarrell on a ball hit sharply down the third base line of Linfield.
With the score tied at the top of the eighth, junior infielder Kelson Brown lined a leadoff double into the gap.
After stealing third, Brown scored on an Evenson bunt. Evenson was then driven home by Smith, putting the Wildcats ahead by two.
Bixenman went 2-3 in the game while junior Kyle Mosbrucker earned his first win of the season after one-and-two thirds innings of work.
In the second game, sophomore Evan Hilberg and freshman Andy Hunthausen combined for a three-hitter and held Whitworth to
one run.
Bartenhagen put the Pirates ahead in the second inning.
Linfield was sparked by a third inning, three-run, Bixenman bomb. The Wildcats added seven runs to their lead in the fourth, including home runs by Boskovich and Brown.
Evenson tallied three hits, two RBI, and two runs scored while Hilberg earned his second win of the season.
Linfield improved to 9-3 overall and 6-2 in Northwest Conference play as Whitworth dropped to 3-9 overall and 1-6 in the conference.
The Wildcats are scheduled to play Whitman College in a two-game series beginning March 14 at Walla Walla’s Borleske Stadium.