Undefeated in conference, ’Cats sink Pirates

Photo by Jeff Primozich
Photo by Jeff Primozich

Kurtis Williams
Review staff writer

The softball team improved to 6-0 in the Northwest Conference after beating Whitworth University four times between March 6 and 7.
Because of the severe weather moving into the area March 8, the games were changed to March 6 and March 7. The move did not hinder Linfield’s performance on the field.
With strong pitching and timely hitting, the ’Cats jumped out to a quick lead in game one. Four runs in the second inning led the team to a 9-1 victory. The only Pirate run came from a home run hit by junior Ashley Carey.
Linfield freshman catcher Emilee Lepp achieved four hits in as many at bats, producing two runs and two runs batted in.
Senior pitcher Kendra Strahm pitched five innings, only allowing four hits and one run while striking out four batters.
Lepp said the youthful team has not been phased yet in the season.
“Since we’re so young, we really want to give it our all so we can show everyone what we can do,” She said. “Not many people had high expectations for us because we are so young.”
The second game, March 6, produced another Wildcat win, 8-0. Senior pitcher Brittany Miller led the way, surrendering only one hit over five innings and striking out 13 while facing 18 batters.
The ’Cats were powered offensively by freshman shortstop Stacie Doucette and sophomore third basemen Emily Keagbine, who both hit home runs. Sophomore leftfielder Kayla Hubrich led the team with three hits.
The March 7 game did not alter Whitworth’s luck. The Pirates went down in order in the top of the first inning. Linfield tacked on three runs in the bottom half of the inning, two coming from a Keagbine homer. The final score: 10-2.
Lepp, Doucette and Keagbine, the three-four-five hitters, each had three RBIs. Of the regular starting players, Doucette and Lepp led the team in hitting at an average of .571 and 12 hits each. Keagine is right behind them at .500 and 10 hits.
Whitworth scored a run in both the fourth and fifth innings.
The final game was the closest of the weekend, but Linfield was far from contested. Led by Lepp with two hits, and the ’Cats won 7-1.
Lepp got the modest crowd going early with a two-run home run in the first. That is all Miller needed, going four innings without allowing a base runner.
Junior Samantha Van Noy relieved Miller, allowing three hits and one run in the sixth inning.
Lepp said she did not expect to be in this position as a freshman, especially with two other freshmen catchers.
“I figured we’d all split [time] or one of the other ones would be starting, but I was ready to go in if [coach Jackson Vaughn] needed me,” Lepp said.
Moving from high school to college softball was a big transition for her, Lepp said.
“It has been a lot more intense,” she said. “Our practices have been a lot harder. Everyone’s a lot more
serious.”
The softball team plays next March 13 against George Fox University at 6 p.m. in McMinnville.