Successful first meet sparks team’s confidence

Elizabeth Graham

After a fifth-place finish in October’s Northwest Conference Fall Classic, the women’s golf team aims to boost their standing and is working hard to qualify for nationals this spring.
The team’s primary focus will be on placing well in the coming NWC Spring Classic and the NWC Championships.
Head coach Karly Cramer has been with the team for three years and is impressed by the its hard work and improvement.
She said she hopes to see the ’Cats move up in standings during the season. Cramer said she is also looking at individual improvement and believes sophomore Brynn Hurdus has what it takes to qualify for nationals because she missed qualifying by the narrowest margin of 0.2 strokes during her freshman season. Sophomore Katie Kilborn also helped boost the team’s confidence last year as a freshman with constant improvement and several strong finishes.
The Wildcats managed a first-place finish in their opening meet, despite having what Cramer calls “first tournament jitters.” The ’Cats finished the Lewis & Clark Invitational with a team score of 364, overpowering the winners of the Northwest Conference Fall Classic at Pacific University. Freshman Sophie Corr led the team with a final score of 84, placing second individually as well as helping the Wildcats to a first-place finish. Kilborn tied fourth place in the L&C Invitational, with a score of 89.
The team’s is currently at the Puget Sound Invitational held on March 5 and 6. The Wildcats have shown tremendous promise so far.
The first day of the tournament ended with Linfield in second with a team total of 366, only three strokes behind University of Puget Sound.
Hurdus led the Wildcats with an 86 in the first round.
“This team as a whole is the best I’ve coached. They have great attitudes, work hard and have the ability and skills necessary to place well,” Cramer said.