Double win sets tone for season

Photo by Alison Pate
Photo by Alison Pate

Kurtis Williams

The softball team began its defense of the Northwest Conference title Feb. 28 with two wins against Pacific Lutheran University, 7-0 and 8-3.
The games, moved from March 1 because of the weather forecast, were the first of the year after two matches against Concordia University were rained out on Feb. 24. They were also the first games for many freshmen who blossomed in NWC competition.
Freshman shortstop Staci Doucette made the most of her one hit during the opener, with a three-run homerun that put the ’Cats five runs ahead late in the game.
“Finally getting to play our first game was great,” Doucette said. “We had been practicing for almost two months, and I think the team had definitely reached a certain level of frustration.”
Sophomore centerfielder Natalie Taylor led the team with three hits, while sophomore third baseman Emily Keagbine and freshman catcher Jordan Mixsell each had two hits.
Both offense and pitching were strong in the first game. Junior pitcher Samantha Van Noy allowed only one hit throughout the first four innings. Senior pitcher Brittany Miller gave up four hits yet tallied six strikeouts in the final three innings.
Although Doucette said she was nervous, she also said the older players and coaches instilled a lot of confidence in the team by telling players to just play softball.
In the second game, Doucette came through again with three hits in four appearances with a double. Freshman catcher Emily Lepp started in the second match and had two hits and three runs. Junior right fielder Rochelle Friend contributed with two hits and two RBIs.
Senior Kendra Strahm pitched four innings, allowing eight hits and three runs. Sophomore pitcher Claire Velaski finished the game, surrendering one hit.
Despite being a relatively young team without senior position players, Doucette said the team is coming together.
“From the beginning of Jan term, the talk of the team was about the great chemistry we had,” Doucette said. “On the field, we need to work on our trust for each other and our communication, but we have the potential to be great.”
There is a significant difference between high school and college softball in the leadership of the upperclassmen and the guidance of the coaching staff, Doucette said. She also said her club coach worked hard to prepare players for the next level.
The two games that were previously scheduled to play March 7 and 8 were cancelled due to snow in Colfax, Wash. The softball series with Whitworth shifts to March 6 at 3:30 p.m.. and March 7 at 12 p.m. in McMinnville.