’Cats strive to continue tradition

Photo by Chris Woods
Photo by Chris Woods

Kurtis Williams
The softball season begins next week, and the ’Cats are looking forward to defending their Northwest Conference title. The team was voted to win the crown by the conference coaches, a vote it has received each of the past four years. The team is also looking to win the conference title for the sixth consecutive time.
Head coach Jackson Vaughn, in his eighth year, believes the team can live up to the expectations set by his fellow coaches.
“There’s talent there, but it depends on how fast we develop and come together,” Vaughn said.
Cohesion may be an issue since this season’s team is so young. Six out of eight field positions are vacant. All four infield spots are open because of graduating seniors, all of who were first-team, all-NWC players, and two outfield spots will need to be filled as well. While Vaughn will use last year’s backups, some freshmen are bound to play. Out of 21 players, the roster currently boasts 16 freshmen and sophomores.
“We don’t even have a senior position, and that’s definitely the first time that’s happened,” Vaughn said.
Vaughn said the biggest competition in the league should come from Pacific and Willamette universities. As for non-league games, Vaughn looks forward to a trip to California during Spring Break to provide the team the biggest challenge. The ’Cats will play 10 games in five days, most against opponents who are perennial playoff contenders.
Despite the young team, Vaughn said he sees leadership coming from the new class.
Linfield will most likely have to rely heavily on pitching this season. Two-time NWC pitcher of the year and second-team All-American Brittany Miller returns for her senior year and is the school’s career leader in strikeouts and wins. Fellow senior pitcher Kendra Strahm will also be a powerful force in the pitching circle. Vaughn said he expects these two to be the leaders of the squad.
Linfield begins its season with a doubleheader February 24 at home against Concordia University starting at 3 p.m.