Swimmers splash into nationals with high hopes

Photo by Chris Woods
Photo by Chris Woods

Lizzie Martinez

While many students studied abroad or rested at home, the swim team spent January enduring long workouts and competing in four meets to prepare for last weekend’s conference. For senior Rose Hollingsworth and junior Dominic Rienets, the grueling swim practices aided as each are headed for nationals.
“January is always a tough time for us,” head swimming coach Gary Gutierrez said. “It’s our last big push before conference.”
The Northwest Conference finals were held on Feb. 15 and 16 in Federal Way, Wash. Although Linfield didn’t place in the top three, several swimmers dropped times, earning personal, Linfield College and conference records.
Both Rienets and Hollingsworth set new all-time NWC conference records in their signature races.
“All of our hard work really paid off, and it showed in all the time everybody dropped,” senior swimmer Amy Goodloe said.
In senior Josh Parfitt’s final college races, he once again showed his strengths in the long-distance events. He placed second in the 500 yard freestyle, 4:44.62, and in the 1650 freestyle, 16:42.40.
Parfitt was also a major contributor in the men’s medley races, propeling the team of junior Yusuke Kobayashi, sophomore Connor Moynihan and Rienets to third-place finishes in the 400 medley relay, 3:34.83, and the 800 free relay, 7:10.
Rienets placed in three individual events, in addition to the two team races. The highlight of conference was setting the NWC all-time record in the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.47. He also proceeded to place first in the 50 freestyle, 21.49, and the 100 free, 45.94.
Hollingsworth matched Rienets, setting her own all-time NWC record in the 100 backstroke, with a time of 56.70. This was fast enough to guarantee a slot in the national competition next month.
Hollingsworth moved to place third in the 200 IM, 2:10.83, and first in the 200 backstroke, 2:04.81.
In the end, the women placed sixth and the men placed fifth, out of eight teams overall.
“We had really fast people like Dom and Rose, but when you only have one person in the races, you can’t score as many points,” senior Amy Goodloe said. “It was hard because we didn’t have the depth.”
During January, the team competed in four meets, resulting in a 1-3 record for the women, and a 2-2 record for the men.
On the women’s side, four swimmers excelled during January. Goodloe, Hollingsworth, sophomores Felicia Weller and Kimberlee Smith, freshman Melissa Greenway and Hollingsworth all competed well, Gutierrez said.
For the men, senior Josh Parfitt, junior Yusuke Kobayashi and Rienets had good times, Gutierrez said.
For the four seniors on the team, Goodloe, Hollingsworth, Parfitt and Lacy Smith, the days of collegiate competition are complete. Gutierrez is already recruiting for the next batch of swimmers to replace these powerhouses.
“A lot of strength and power are graduating,” Gutierrez said. “But I’m cautiously optimistic [about recruiting incoming freshmen].”
Both Hollingsworth and Rienets are veterans of Nationals. Hollingsworth boasts a 12th and 16th place finish in the 100 backstroke from her sophomore and junior years respectively, while Rienets placed 9th in the 100 butterfly as a sophomore.
The NCAA Division III championships for men’s and women’s swimming will be held in a combined meet for the first time, Gutierrez said. From March 18-21, in Minneapolis, Minn. Hollingsworth and Rienets will compete against prominent Division III swimmers. They both hope to make All American, placing in the top eight swimmers in their respective races.
“[Hollingsworth] is sitting in a place where she could be top 8 in both the 100 and 200 backstroke,” Gutierrez said.