Women dominate season opener

Rachel Mills
The women’s tennis team didn’t just open its season once the players stepped onto the University of Puget Sound courts Feb. 13 and 14; it opened with a bang, posting 9-0 wins against both University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University, sending their 99-game winning streak into triple digits.
The team took to the courts Feb. 13, for its first conference match of the season against PLU and recorded its 100th victory within the Northwest Conference.
Six-year head coach Amy Dames Smith said that the winning streak began before she came to Linfield, and the team has yet to lose a conference match.
The matches against PLU and UPS were no exception.
The starting six opened the match Feb. 20 with six victories in singles competitions, including an impressive 6-0, 6-0 win for freshman Kiana Nip against PLU sophomore Jessica Wilson.
The No. 1 doubles team, junior Sallie Katter and sophomore Sophie Larson, followed up with an 8-3 win over PLU seniors Ashley Brooks and Ashley Coats.
Victories from all six singles and three doubles sets gave Linfield a perfect 9-0 win against PLU.
The team followed up Feb. 14 with another 9-0 win against UPS.
In singles competition, Larson posted a 6-0, 6-0 win against UPS freshman Madison Holtz at No. 3. The rest of the team maintained Larson’s high standards and finished with a sweep of all nine matches.
“The credit just goes to the entire team,” said Smith. “They all were able to deliver.”
Katter said the wins were particularly satisfying because other teams doubted the young team ability to succeed.
“No one expects it of us because we are so young,” Katter said. “They underestimated us, but we stepped up and did it.”
Katter is the only upperclassmen on a team that is comprised of six freshmen and four sophomores.
“Every year, I watch seniors graduate, and I think our winning streak is going to end,” Katter said. “And every year, I’m wrong.”
Smith said Katter will play a leadership roll.
“[Katter] has already started to step up to the plate and take that leadership role,” she said.
Smith also said the core group of returning sophomores will provide leadership and backing for Katter and the team.
However, Katter said the impressive part of this year’s team is the lack of leadership.
“There is almost no need for leadership this year,” Katter said. “There is just a balance between us. Everyone steps up and leads when they have something to offer.”
Dames Smith said the team will have more to offer as the season continues.
“It’ll be an interesting season in conference, and there will be tough competition between Whitman, Whitworth and us for the top three spots,” she said. “But if we stick to our goals and continue to improve, we will pull it off.”
For Katter, the goal for the season is simple.
“We would love to win conference,” she said. “And I think we can.”