Lone senior Honn finds home at Linfield

Will Hermens
Review staff writer

Senior post Whitney Honn has defined her college basketball career by overcoming adversity.
This year, Honn transferred into the Linfield program after attending Seattle University last season and Yakima Valley Community College before that.
She played significant minutes off the bench last year at Seattle but left the program because, Honn said, some players quit the team, and the team kept losing, leaving players unhappy.
“I have played with my best friend since freshman year, and I left her,” Honn said. “I wanted to play senior year with her.”
Honn comes into the program as the lone senior this year, with only two juniors and two returners from last year’s team.
Honn feels as if she puts more pressure on herself because this season will be the last of her career; she said she feels compelled not to waste her final year.
The transition into the Linfield program has been easy for Honn, she said. The adjustment to Linfield’s offensive and defensive styles has gone well for Honn because of the similarities in playing style at her previous school.
With 12 newcomers in the program, the majority of the team had to start on the same low comfort and familiarity level.
“It wasn’t so hard like a program that was set,” Honn said. “It makes me more comfortable as a leader.”
Honn’s leadership has been by example. As the team’s comfort level increases, she said she expects to become a vocal, dominant player on the court who her teammates can rally around.
Four games into the preseason, Honn continues to work on improving on-court communication with teammates.
“I’m trying to be more vocal this year,” Honn said. “We all need to talk and communicate with each other.”
Understanding the significance of communication with her teammates, Honn also said she realizes how important playing with poise will be for her final year.
“I just want to come in and play with confidence,” Honn said.
Honn has made this her personal goal this year. She said she believes becoming a better player and teammate will come from establishing a strong self-assurance in all game aspects. As for a team, Honn says the goals should be to considerably improve each practice and game as the season progresses.
After four preseason games, Honn has established her presence at the basket with a team-leading five blocks and 11 steals. She also leads the team in rebounding at four per game, while averaging seven points per game, good for third-best on the team.
However, Honn said she recognizes the need to make improvements and changes in her game.
“I need to attack the basket,” she said. “I feel like I’m doing it more this year.”
Honn said she understands that the younger players look up to her to set the tone both offensively and defensively. She has worked on attacking and being more aggressive each game, which she said she hopes will rub off on the play of her teammates.
Asked who has had the most significant impact and been the biggest supporter of her basketball career, Honn quickly pointed out her mother.
Her mother passed away during Honn’s freshman year at Yakima Valley, but Honn plays in her remembrance for all the times she pushed her to develop herself as a person and a player.
This year Honn said she found a new home at Linfield, with the spotlight on her.
In her final collegiate season, Honn said she has her goals in sight and hopes to accomplish those with 13 new teammates, as well as coaches, fans and family.
“It takes a long time to adjust to everything,” she said. “I just don’t get discouraged.”