News Briefs

Tobacco stays on campus

At the end of November, Senate voted on a resolution for a tobacco-free campus, which was sent to the President’s Cabinet and the Board of Trustees. Last week, President Hellie announced his decision to continue allowing the use of tobacco at Linfield College, despite student support for a ban.

The current college policy prohibits smoking in any indoor areas, any indoor or outdoor gatherings, in college vehicles and within 30 feet of building entrances or open windows.

Hellie stated in his letter to senior Bradley Keliinoi, vice president of the Associated Students of Linfield College, that a total ban would be difficult for Linfield to enforce and the schoo

l could not legally prohibit smoking on the public street (Linfield Avenue), which runs through campus.

~ Andra Kovacs/Senior reporter

Changes made to nursing program

This semester, the Student Policy Committee chaired by Sandra Lee, professor of international communication and English as a second language, has been discussing a few changes to be made to the nursing program at Linfield. They decided to pass one of the four motions and sent the three others back to the committee to be reworded, discussed and presented again to the faculty assembly in May.

Motion 2, which was passed and will be added to the handbook, states that it will restrict students from “enrolling at the McMinnville Campus to gain automatic entry to the Nursing major, if that student applied for and was denied admission to the Nursing major as a transfer student from the general application pool.”

It also approves replacing the word “native” with the word “resident.” These statements will be added into the handbook on behalf of the Faculty Assembly.

~ Andra Kovacs/Senior reporter

Hawaiian Club celebrates its culture

“Na A’a Hawai’i: The Roots From Which We Grow” reflects the students of the Hawaiian Club and acts as the theme of their 40th Annual Lu’au.

Guests will be treated to traditional Hawaiian food and performances May 5, which also falls on Linfield’s annual Mom’s Weekend.

The Hawaiian Club will be selling merchandise in a “country store” that is shipped from Hawaii itself. Food and the “country store” will be available in the Rutschman Field House and the Lu’au performances will be in the Ted Wilson Gymnasium.

The Hawaiian Club puts on a traditional Hawaiian dance show after the guests eat. Dances will include hula, Haka, Samoan and slow Tahitian.

Besides the Hawaiian Club and the Hawaiian community, several other organizations around campus are involved in the planning of Lu’au.

~ Kaylyn Peterson/Sports editor