Men’s and women’s golf teams face wins and losses in the NWC

The Linfield golf teams both competed at the Northwest Conference Championship on April 21 and 22. The men played at the Canyon Lakes Golf Course in Kennewick, Wash., while the women’s team competed at Columbia Point Golf Course in Richland, Wash.

The Linfield women’s golf team placed fifth at the Northwest Conference Championships on Saturday and Sunday.

Whitman College, George Fox University and Whitworth University were the top three teams after the two-day tournament in Richland, Wash.

On Saturday, Linfield was in fourth place, with a total of 358.

Sophomore Alexandria Smith placed highest out of the Linfield women on the first day, placing ninth out of 40 players.

Wildcats senior Sophie Corr placed 14th, junior Brinn Hovde placed 16th, sophomore Hannah Christianson placed 23rd and senior Lydia Smith placed 27th.

On Sunday, Linfield slipped into fifth place in the conference, with a total of 699.

“The first day we played alright, but we definitely struggled [on Sunday],” Alexandria Smith said. “For me, it was the little shots that got in the way of scoring well.”

Smith once again placed highest for Linfield, tying for 14th place with Elizabeth Martin from Whitworth.

Corr placed 20th, Hovde placed 21st, Christianson placed 27th, and Lydia Smith placed 29th.

On the men’s side, the Wildcats placed first out of the nine NWC teams.

With a score of 596, Linfield beat Whitworth University by a mere three points.

The Wildcats had three men in the top-10. Defending his conference title, senior Alex Fitch nabbed first and finished with a score of 142 strokes.

Tying for fourth, freshman Connor Magnuson finished the game in 149 strokes.

Fellow freshman Taylor Klopp was in a three-way tie with Whitworth University’s Joey Degroff and Willamette University’s Cody Plofker.

The final two members of the men’s golf team placed in the top-30. Sophomore A.J. Taylor landed in 17th place, while Tommy Schmitz finished in 30th.

The men’s team earned its fourth NWC title win for the last five seasons.

As the women’s season comes to an end, the men’s team will continue on to the next round, where it will play in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division III Championships.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Meghan O’Rourke/
Opinion editor
Kaylyn Peterson/Sports editor
Meghan O’Rourke can be reached at  [email protected].
Kaylyn Peterson can be reached at [email protected].