Student faces multiple counts of sex crime charges

After appearing at a preliminary hearing March 22 in Washington County Circuit Court on a charge of first-degree sexual abuse, sophomore Kyle McLennan was arraigned after pleading not guilty on a secret indictment and is now facing 25 counts of various sex crime charges.

The latest charges allege that he had a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl about three years ago and a 15-year-old girl about two years ago, according to court documents.

The charges include three counts of first-degree rape, three counts of second-degree rape, six counts of first-degree sexual abuse, two counts of second-degree sexual abuse, three counts of first-degree sexual penetration, three counts of second-degree penetration and five counts of third-degree sodomy.

Court documents reveal that between May 1, 2009 and Sept. 1, 2009, McLennan engaged in sexual intercourse and sexual contact by means of forcible compulsion with the 13-year-old victim.

Documents also show that between June 23, 2010 and June 22, 2011, McLennan engaged in deviate sexual intercourse and sexual intercourse with the 15-year-old victim. In addition, he engaged in deviate sexual intercourse with the same girl between June 23, 2011 and Oct. 11, 2011.

Both girls came forward before the court as witnesses. However, The Linfield Review does not publish the names of minors who are alleged victims in sexual crimes.

As part of McLennan’s security release agreement, he is not allowed to have any direct or indirect contact with the victims or minors.

Court documents show that McLennan is not to go within 100 yards of the victims’ residence, work, vehicle or person.

McLennan’s next trial is set for 9 a.m. June 6 in Washington County Circuit Court.

First-degree rape, second-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree sexual penetration and second-degree sexual penetration are all Measure 11 crimes, which carry a mandatory minimum sentence of more than six years in prison.

McLennan’s attorney, Robin Runstein of Kell, Alterman & Runstein, declined to comment about the case on McLennan’s behalf.

McLennan was arrested Feb. 10 at his off-campus residence by Hillsboro detectives on accusations that he engaged in a sexual relationship with a minor in 2008, according to Lt. Mike Rouches, a Hillsboro police spokesman.

McLennan, a business management major and defensive line football player, “was suspended from the football team, pending the outcome of his case,” Mardi Mileham, director of communications said in a prior interview.

“The college’s athletic policy calls for a student to be immediately suspended from any athletic team upon an arrest. He was notified of his suspension,” Mileham said.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Jessica Prokop/
Editor-in-chief
Jessica Prokop can be reached at [email protected]