’Cats continue dominance in NWC, now at 15-1

– Photo by Jordan Jacobo/Review staff writer/photographer

Jake Peterson

For the Review

The softball team continues its rampage through the Northwest Conference after four more consecutive wins.

This makes a streak of seven, keeping the ’Cats in first place in the division with a 14-1 conference record with just three opponents left in the season.

With play stopping in the fifth inning of the first game during the April 5 doubleheader because of poor weather, Linfield came out strong to finish the matchup against George Fox University on April 9. 

In the first face-off, the ’Cats were held scoreless until the fifth inning when freshman outfielder McKensie Booth singled to center field, bringing in freshman catcher Emily Keagbine. One more run was scored in the inning prior to the game being called. 

“We were always expected to win against George Fox, so it is hard to get up for the game,” senior third baseman Erica Hancock said. “It took us a while to get going, but we stepped up when needed and got the job done.”

When play resumed on Wednesday, Hancock singled and freshman designated hitter Alex Hartmann doubled, each bringing in two RBI, to put the Wildcats ahead by six.

Tough pitching by Linfield junior Kendra Strahm, who struck out five batters and allowed just two hits in six innings, sealed the 9-0 victory for Linfield.  The game ended after six innings.

In the second game, also held on Wednesday, the Wildcats picked up right where the first game left off, jumping out to an early lead and laying on the heat. The game ended later in the fifth inning victorious, 8-0.

Four Linfield seniors, outfielder Stephanie Rice, second baseman Jenny Marshall, shortstop Meredith Brunette and first baseman Amanda Attleberger, had two hits on the day. Rice and Attleberger also had two RBIs each.

“Everyone contributed really well,” Brunette said. “It was contagious, so when someone got a hit, the next person did as well.”

Junior pitcher Brittany Miller retired eight of 17 batters faced, allowing just one hit, en route to improving her record to 11-1.

On April 6, the ’Cats started their doubleheader against Lewis & Clark College with big bats, taking just six innings to rout the Pioneers, 13-3. 

In the third inning, Brunette got the team going with a triple to bring in both Marshall and Rice. Linfield ended the inning with six runs off five hits to take the lead.

Freshman Claire Velaski pitched all six innings for Linfield, tacking up four strike outs, and holding the Pioneers to just eight hits in the game.

In the second game of the day, Marshall and Hartmann combined for six of the team’s 12 hits to lead the ’Cats to a   6-0 shutout of Lewis & Clark.

The ’Cats used a three-run first inning to jump out early on the Pioneers.

Superb pitching by sophomore Samantha Van Noy, who struck out 10 Lewis & Clark batters and allowed just three hits in her seven innings, secured the easy victory for the ’Cats.

Linfield travels to Tacoma, Wash., to face both Pacific Lutheran University and University of Puget Sound this weekend. Linfield looks to avenge its only NWC loss of the season against Pacific Lutheran.