‘Fear No Art’ drives Gandara

Weave between the easels and paintings in Miller Fine Arts Center, and you will find a studio with a desk covered with wool, paint and sketches and walls adorned with charcoal and pictures.

Every studio is unique to its artist, and sophomore art major Mindi Gandara is no exception.

Her studio is not cluttered with what the average person would interpret as art, such as paintings and photographs. Gandara’s focus is on sculpture with fibers, using mediums such as wool and embroidery to create novel, fun and sometimes savvy pieces.

She said her passion for art began with basic art classes during her sophomore year of high school.

“I realized how constructive art was emotionally and academically,” Gandara said. “It made me happy, and I was getting praise.”

Her influences include artists such as Frida Kahlo and Pablo Picasso, and is influenced by Hispanic and Latino culture. Gandara said, like these artists, she  incorporates symbolism into all of her pieces.

“My art is inspired by everyday happenings in my life and the life of my family, especially,” she said.

Gandara said, in coming to Linfield, she felt a different sense of how to make art. Depending on what she is working on, Gandara said how she feels when she is creating different pieces varies.

“It can be very stressful, and I can finish a project and be exhausted, sad, even guilty,” she said. “It can also be really gratifying and a stress reliever.”

Gandara said she hopes to become a glass blower when she graduates college. She was introduced to glass fusing in fourth grade and has worked with some glass fusing while at Linfield.

“It is very methodical and has a step-by-step process,” she said. “It is forgiving, which some mediums aren’t, and it’s just gorgeous.”

When Gandara explained the meaning of some of the items on her studio walls, she stopped at the charcoal scribbles and art of a young child.

“I admire a child’s ability to be secure with what they’re making without crossing anything out,” she said.

One important lesson Gandara said she learned from her professors while at Linfield is that it is OK to make mistakes.

“Failures are just as important as successes,” she said.

Tacked on the wall of her studio next to a drawing is a simple black postcard with the words “Fear No Art” centered in white lettering.

“It is a mantra,” Gandara said. “It is easy to be intimidated by my ideas.”

1