Forensics receives split results

Photo by Ashley Price
Photo by Ashley Price

Brianne Ries

Assistant editor

Four Linfield students and one professor traded the brisk Oregon weather for a weekend in Honolulu, Hawaii. The group was there for more than lounging on the beach; they were competing in the Oct. 16-20 Pan Pacific Debate Championship.

Linfield was represented by sophomore Colin Jones, junior Kaitlyn Vannoy, seniors Ashley Price and Morgan St. Jean and Associate Professor of Theatre and Communication Arts and Director of Forensics Jackson Miller. Teams from California, Oregon and Hawaii also competed.

Competitors debated topics ranging from the bailout, to legalizing organ sales and the conflict between Georgia and Russia, St. Jean said.
 This is her eighth year of forensics debate.

St. Jean said this was the first debate for Jones and Price and that they did well.

”We are so new, but we held our own,” St. Jean said. “Each team won two individual rounds.”

The forensics Team started its season off with a first-place win at the Lewis & Clark Pioneer Invitational on Oct. 10-11.

Senior Kate Peterson placed first in the Open Program of Oral Interpretation category.

Peterson said this category is essentially competitive acting using prose, poetry or a script. Her particular piece addressed the use of Christianity as a social tool.

She highlights Brittany Spears’ award acceptance speech thanking God and Kathy Griffin’s 2008 Emmy speech that stated God had nothing to do with her win.

Peterson said she also searched various blogs praising or condemning each speech. She assembled all of the elements to project her message to the judges.

“It’s about getting a message out there,” Peterson said.

This is Peterson’s eighth year of competition. She began competing with her high school forensics team as a freshman.

Despite Peterson’s years of experience in front of the judges, she said she still gets nervous no matter how much she practices.

“You can walk into a room and know that a judge isn’t going to like your piece,” Peterson said.

Even if she does not get a positive response from the judges or a win a tournament, she chooses not to adjust her pieces.      

“How many opportunities do you have when people are required to listen to you?” Peterson said.

This is her fourth consecutive first-place win since last fall. The Pioneer Invitational was the first tournament for Peterson since she was abroad in France last spring.

Whether it is in front of the judges or in her personal life, Peterson said speaking with conviction means taking authority for your words.

“A huge portion of America’s youth comes off as unsure of what they are saying,” Peterson said. “Soon, they may not be willing to say anything at all.”

Peterson is also a peer coach for the forensics team, as is senior Morgan St. Jean.

“Kate has worked her butt off,” St. Jean said. “She is a great peer coach, competitor and sets a great model.”

The team heads to Kelso, Wash. Nov. 7 and 8 Nov. 14-16 Linfield will host the Mahaffey Tournament.

The Mahaffey Tournament will draw 40 teams of 5 to 15 debaters from California, Idaho, Washington, Alaska and Oregon.

Forensics encourages anyone, regardless of experience to join. Those interested should e-mail Miller at [email protected].