Habitat’s Guatemala trip spurs fundraiser

Scott Cinatl

Review staff writer

The Linfield branch of Habitat for Humanity has created an opportunity for 12 students to travel to Guatemala during Spring Break to work on a Habitat for Humanity project.

Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit, Christian housing ministry which provides decent, affordable housing for low-income families.  The students will help two families build their new homes with other volunteers in their 11-day stay.

Last weekend, the Linfield branch held a banquet at the Cooperative Ministries on 2nd Street to raise money for the trip.  The members hosted a dinner and met with the Guatemalan representatives to inform attendees of their progress in the area.  The club was able to raise $1,000.

The group going to Guatemala needs to raise $30,000 to afford the trip.  The club has already reached the halfway point of its goal but still needs help.  There are many opportunities to help get the group to Guatemala.

The club will have a tamale sale, selling handmade Guatemalan tamales by the half-dozen.  Orders for chicken or veggie tamales are due Oct. 29 and may be sent to sophomore Lacey Dean at [email protected].

Habitat for Humanity will also be hosting a three-on-three basketball tournament in early December, though the date is unknown. There will be a $5 entry fee for each player.

Those wishing to help can also be a part of Rent-a-Wildcat, where participants go and help members of the community do yard work and other tasks in return for money that will contribute to the trip to Guatemala.

“Being a part of Habitat for Humanity is a great way to gain perspective on other ways of living; taking a week out of your life helps to change their lives forever,” Dean said.

To get involved with Habitat, you can join the Linfield chapter or go online at www.habitat.org.