Abstract objects create common thread

Photo by Kristin Shimabukuro
Photo by Kristin Shimabukuro

Artist displays unique approach to pieces, bringing mystery and spontaneity, open to interpretation

Diane Lou, wife of Nils Lou, chair and professor of art and visual culture, is displaying her creative work in the Moments exhibit in the Miller Fine Arts Center gallery, and it is a sight to be seen.

She gathers her materials from a variety of places: the beach, things found around the house, things collected outdoors, things found on the street and, mainly, Goodwill bins. These objects, thought to be mere broken bits of society, are transformed into works that evoke emotion and challenge perspective in any viewer.

“No piece starts with a theme,” Lou said. “A theme tends to evolve as the piece comes together.”

Culminations of such items as cobbler’s tools, dried frogs, a Starbuck’s stress relief ball and bingo numbers placed in boxes or backed with chessboards allow people to delve into each piece.

Every piece has a sense of mystery, she said. As a writer sets the plot, Lou introduces the characters, but the story is the viewer’s to unfold. Each piece is completely open to interpretation in its own way, as good art should be, Lou said. The pieces have a variety of layers; often times, someone cannot see them all in one look.

Her pieces are comprised of other, smaller pieces, such as an orchestra made not only of violins but also of French horns, cellos, flutes, oboes and much more.

Lou takes a positive stance not only in her creations but the creation of all art.

“Art is something that evolves as you go, that allows it to be limitless,” she said. “Art without mystery is not art. There should be ambiguity to it.”

She was happy to report on the spontaneity of her work, saying sometimes she will see two objects next to each other, in combinations she would never have imagined, and then a piece is well on its way to fruition as
layers of variety and expression are added.

Her recommendation to fellow artists is not to judge yourself as you go. Nothing can ever be good or bad in its creation; it all has potential, she said.

Lou described her art as found-object art that allows its audience to come to limitless conclusions. There isn’t anything that cannot be recycled, she said.

While the projects have been called dark and mysterious, Lou calls the process visceral. All her life she has been fascinated with shape, texture, form and arrangement. Her passion is clear upon viewing her work.