Question the norm by breaking the status quo

Rachael Palinkas

Socialization is the process through which the individual perceives, internalizes and interprets the structures of society. This is something that is constantly happening to us and has the most impact when we are young and impressionable. Often times many people go through life without realizing this fact, and they never question certain things that, I feel, should be questioned.

Examples of socialization are why we all wear clothes in public, why girls like pink and how we interact with others given certain situations.

I have taken a few classes at Linfield that have made me look at this concept, and I have gotten to examine the role that socialization has played in my life. By realizing that it is something that is happening, I could take a step back and analyze those things that I have internalized and question if I really agree with them.

Often times we follow the beliefs of those who raised us. So, instead of exploring other avenues, we stick to what we have always known. For example, many people tend to keep the religious and political views of their parents throughout their life. Would that be what you chose if you could start fresh and decide for yourself without the influence
of others?

Social rules make up a large part of how we are socialized. These are rules that we don’t really think about that a majority of people tend to follow. These include things such as distance between people when talking, when and where to be quiet and appropriate dress for different occasions.

One of the classes I am taking right now asked us to test the limits of these social rules, so I went to a grocery store and started to take things out of people’s carts and act as if it was completely normal for me to do that.

While there is no stated rule saying that once items are in carts being pushed by other people that those items belong to that person, it is a pretty common and well-known fact that that isn’t something you do.

When I broke this “rule,” the reaction was anger; they felt as if I was taking something that belonged to them, even though they had yet to pay for it.

I encourage the exploration of social norms and the boundaries of your own socialization. Really question the path you take; use college as the time to do this and explore who you are and who you want to be.

Step back and look at decisions that have been made in your life. Think about if they are choices you have made or if they are ones someone has made for you.

Question everything. Go and break a social norm!