Visiting hours spark discontent in Senate

Heather McClellan

Review staff writer

The visiting hours policy, presently under discussion in the ASLC Senate, is heading for the second step in its renovation.

“It is an issue that was brought up last semester,” ASLC Vice President Rafe Rafahi said. “Apparently, Linfield has a different standard than other schools out there. A senate committee looked into similar college policies, and the only [local]  school with a more stringent policy was George Fox University.”

To put policy change into action every senator needs to collect 15 signatures from their constituents with a vote of yes, no or undecided. Two-thirds of the senators need to turn in constituency reports for a vote to take place. Rafahi said after the issue is voted on, a proclamation is written to Student Services about the change.

“Hopefully all the constituency reports will be in [this] week so we can get the proclamation written and approved in two weeks and to the [Student Services Office] in three weeks,” Rafahi said.

Once the proclamation is turned in, it is up to  Student Services whether or not to change the policy.

“There are many ways that [the Student Services Office] can go about changing the policy: a direct change, collecting student opinion and changing from there or going through the board of trustees,” said Rafahi.

The current visiting policy states there are to be no overnight guests of the opposite sex, and same sex overnight guests are only allowed to stay for three days at a time. All guests are expected to abide by Linfield policies.

“It would be exciting to have a fresh outlook on things, and a change in policy would be well-accepted by students,” sophomore Dayna Tapp, resident adviser  for Grover Hall, said. “But the current policy is a good way to help manage the halls and helps keep roommates comfortable.”

Senators said they feel various reasons exist to change the policy to make it more appealing and modern.

“I think the policy should be changed so you can have overnight guests of the opposite sex,” freshman Chelsey Nieman said. “It would make it so much easier to have friends visit.”

There have been mixed reactions from students.

“I understand the roommate perspective; a change in policy could cause problems,” Tapp said. “But I also understand that the current policy is restrictive and difficult if you have people visiting.”

Students are encouraged to contact the ASLC Cabinet with any improvements they wish to see on campus.

“That way you can have the support of the senate, rather than trying to
change things on your own,” Rafahi said.