GPA doesn’t mean ‘give paramount attention’

College is a time to push yourself. Classes are more difficult and more time consuming than they were in high school, and it is more difficult to maintain a high GPA. We’ve noticed that this concept seems to stress out far too many people.

Your GPA is not the only element of college that leads to success in the “real world.” Service, leadership and involvement are equally, if not more, important.

We are not saying that GPA is irrelevant; it is definitely important if you are planning to apply to graduate school. But it shouldn’t be students’ only focus in their college careers, and it certainly shouldn’t consume your life at Linfield.

Students need to show on their résumé that they have experience in the field they plan to enter. You don’t even have to put your GPA on your résumé.

Employers are usually more concerned with whether potential employees have the skills and experience needed to succeed at the job. They want people who connect well with others. They want people who have excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. A GPA doesn’t tell employers much about these.

College is also about building relationships. This is a residential college, and there are many social functions that take place on campus each week. For example, there are student Cat Cabs, movie nights in Ice Auditorium and sporting events. If you’re constantly alone in the library working on homework and studying for tests, you’ll miss out on getting to know your peers and building a network of friends.

Remember that Linfield aims to connect “learning, life, and community.” It calls for diverse students who work to balance their college experiences with a healthy mix of activities that go beyond GPA-building.

Getting a “C” in a tough class won’t likely matter when you’re 40. Not making an effort to get involved in your school might.

-The Review Editorial Board