Na Hemo ‘breaks loose,’ to play for fundraiser

Linfield students will have a chance to soak up some island vibes March 11 in the Fred Meyer Lounge during a Hawaiian Club fundraiser.

Resident music group Na Hemo will perform at “Rub-a-Dub” to raise money for the 39th annual Hawaiian Club Luau, which will take place on April 30.

Senior club president Ihilani Haru said in an e-mail that the luau will feature a country store, food, music and dances from Hawaii.

“Linfield students should learn that there is a rich culture associated with the islands. Hawaii is the melting pot of the U.S. and students from Hawaii grow up experiencing many different traditions,” Haru said in the e-mail.

Na Hemo comprises six Linfield Students who play reggae, bringing alive the “aloha spirit” of their native Hawaii.

In the band are juniors Kala’e Parish on vocals and guitar, Logan Freitas on vocals and keyboard, Sparky Gonzalez on vocal and percussion, Chris Kamaka on guitar, Jeremy Moll on drums, senior Cheyne Kaninau on bass guitar.

Moll will also perform a solo at the beginning of the night, Haru said.

Na Hemo has not performed at Linfield in more than a year.

Na Hemo was formed in 2008 when the members started at a friend’s house. Parish explained that they had the idea to start a band for a Cat Cab.

“It’s a part of our culture to sit around and ‘jam’ or play all types of music from the past and present,” Parish said.

Kaninau said the name of the group has a meaning:

“The word ‘Na’ in Hawaiian is a pluralizer or an adjective meaning a thing or a person. The definition of ‘Hemo’ is ‘to be loose,’” Kaninau said.

Parish mentioned some of the band’s various inspirations.

“[Our music is] influenced by our elders (grandfathers, fathers, uncles, etc.) back home in Hawaii who have passed down the music and culture and experience to us. We are also heavily influenced by the one and only Bob Marley, Katchafire and Israel Kamakawiwo’ole,” Parish said in an e-mail.

The band hopes students enjoy themselves by dancing, feeling alive and break ing free from their problems while listening to groovy music.

“The greatest reward that we can gain through sharing our music with our students is a smile and a good time,” Parish said in the e-mail.

For more information about Na Hemo and future shows, visit their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/nahemomusic.

The Hawaiian Club luau costs $3 without a canned food donation and $2 with a can of food, which will be donated to a food bank. Students are encouraged to bring exact change and soft drinks will be served.

Yoko Gardiner/For the Review
Yoko Gardiner can be reached at [email protected].