Trio concert to showcase classical works

The Music Department will host a trio concert during which cello instructor Sherill Roberts will perform with guests violinist Amy Natzke and pianist Anna Danese. They will perform pieces by composers Mozart, Vivaldi, Brahms, Mendelssohn and Bach.

The performance will be at 7:30 p.m. March 11 in the Delkin Recital Hall in the Vivian Bull Music Center.

“We gave a performance of this program [March 6]in Sherwood, [Ore.,] and thought it would be nice to repeat it at Linfield,” Roberts said.

Natzke and Danese have been playing together for four years.

“We began just to enjoy playing chamber music together and decided a yearly recital was a way to keep us working hard and also so that we could share the music we love with others. This year we asked Sherill to join us so that we could expand to some trio literature. She invited us to play a second performance in McMinnville at Linfield, and we are thrilled to be able to do that,” Danese said in an e-mail. “This is our first time performing with Sherill, and we are so happy and grateful to be doing so.”

Danese received her bachelor’s degree in piano performance from Westmont College in Santa Barbara, Calif. She teaches humanities and art history at Veritas Classical Christian School in Newberg, Ore., where she also teaches private lessons. She is finishing a master’s in Classical Christian Studies at New St. Andrew’s College in Moscow, Idaho.

“We are doing this purely because we love to play chamber music,” Roberts said.

Roberts has a master’s in music from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. She has performed extensively in the United States and in Europe, and is the principal cellist in the Linfield Chamber Orchestra and the Portland Opera Orchestra She teaches body mapping and provides workshops for musicians as well as teaching cello at Linfield.

“[Roberts] is truly a kindred spirit and a wonderful player. We look forward to this recital very much,” Natzke said.

Natzke, a graduate of the Oberlin Conservatory and the University of Michigan, has performed in orchestras and music festivals across the United States She is associate concertmaster of the Portland Columbia Symphony and has performed with the Portland Chamber Orchestra and the Oregon Chamber Players. She also teaches private lessons.

“Performing chamber music for others who truly value it, who truly find inspiration in it, is an exquisite blessing,” Natze said. “There is a spiritual intimacy that occurs … even if there is just one listener — one open, expectant listener.”

Sharon Gollery/For the Review
Sharon Gollery can be reached at [email protected]