Spring theater season opens with witty play

Freshman Kay Bartlett (far left), feshman Cole Curtwright (sitting in back), senior Rachel Westrick (left side of table), junior Kanon Havens (right side of table), freshman Gabrielle Leif (sitting in back), and junior McKenna Peterson (far right) practice for “West Moon Street” as director Elizabeth Rothan (standing) oversees the rehearsal. Katie Pitchford/Photo editor
Students will perform a play based on an Oscar Wilde story at 7:30 p.m. March 15-18 in the Marshall Theater in Ford Hall.

Junior Kanon Havens, who will play the role of Sybil Merton, said that the central conflict of the play, titled, “West Moon Street,” revolves around the character of Lord Arthur fulfilling a task given to him by a palm reader before he is able to get married to the character Sybil.

“It’s very witty,” Havens said. “It’s a play that makes fun of the high class.”

Havens said that she anticipates having fun with the performance and seeing how the audience reacts.

“It’s such a fulfilling feeling to perform and get an honest reaction,” she said.

Freshman Gabrielle Leif, who will play the role of Lady Windermere, said that being involved with the play has been a positive experience so far.

“I think it is going well. It’s one of those things when you get closer and closer, you get nervous, but everything is coming together,” she said.

Leif described the play as a comedy of manners.

“The characters play the role they think they are supposed to be playing, and the show pokes fun at that,” she said.

Leif added that an interesting aspect of the show is its three-ring circus theme. There are two rings painted in the stage, and each side of the stage is a few feet from the audience. The audience will be on all four sides of the stage, she said.

Adjunct professor of Theatre and Communication Arts Elizabeth Rothan, class of ’85, is directing the play.

“I’m hoping that the audience will see a little bit of themselves and understand the sensibilities of a time different from our own,” Rothan said.

The play was written by New York City playwright Rob Urbinati, who conducted a play reading and feedback session with students at Linfield on Feb. 26.

Tickets cost $7 for Linfield faculty, staff and senior citizens; $5 for Linfield students; and $9 at full price.

For more information about the production, contact Elizabeth Rothan at [email protected]

Chelsea Bowen/Opinions editor
Chelsea Bowen can be reached at [email protected]