Airport security system violates privacy rights

Many people travel during the holidays and going through security has always been a challenge. But with new search methods, passengers can choose to be thoroughly patted down or walk through a full body scanner. The scanner shows a nearly naked photo and exposes you to radiation. This is not fair.

Should the government be able to molest you or expose you to radiation in the name of safety for our country? I understand it is extremely important to keep the U.S. safe, but there need to be limits.

During the pat down, inspectors run a finger through travelers’ underwear waistbands. A minimum-wage employee gropes the genitals and breasts of men and women; it’s not like the employees are doctors administering physicals.

The scanners expose passengers to a small dose of radiation, which can mutate genes and cause cancer in the future. The machine shows a mostly naked photo of you to the airport employees. I imagine certain rude personnel would make fun of the various shapes and sizes of individuals.

There are special cases dealing with people with health issues. Some women have mastectomys, which appear on the X-ray image, so those women do not fulfill the requirements to pass through security. This means a woman who is already different is singled out again for her difference.

Airport employees might physically need to see her breasts, which means there is more scrutiny of the individual.

People with a colostomy have a bag attached to them that holds their waste. They keep it in their pant leg to hide it. It shows up on the scanner, and then they are felt up for not passing the test. One man’s bag was disconnectedwhile they were searching him, and urine went all over his pants.

This is embarrassing and unkind, especially to people with medical conditions.

Other people have gone through traumatic experiences in life, such as being raped. When they are going through airport security, this could bring back negative images and memories from their past. This is not physically or psychologically healthy.

I think there needs to be a different screening process. This new system slows down airports, especially during the busy and hectic holiday season of traveling.

Israel has a different system. It is a high-risk country, like the U.S., that is targeted for attack, and it does not physically violate the privacy of its citizens. It protects its people in a respectful manner. Officials monitor behavior, such as if a person is wearing bulky clothing or acting shifty. They also interview passengers.

I think the U.S. should have a similar background system. Some people say this is an invasion of privacy, but if they have nothing to hide, then why should it matter?I would much rather have someone look into my financial past than have them feel me up or watch me go through a detailed scanner.

This current system needs to be re-examined and re-evaluated.

Hillary Krippaehne/Copy editor