Wildcats to get their groove on in jazz concert

Several Linfield musicians will perform at Jazz Night at 8 p.m. on Dec. 10 in Ice Auditorium.

Linfield’s vocal jazz ensemble, Double Vision, led by Adjunct Professor of Music Dana Libonati, and the Linfield Jazz Band, under the direction of Steve Kravitz, will perform a number of pieces.

The Double Vision performance will include pieces such as “Something to Talk About,” “Under the Jamaican Moon,” “Something,” “Shape of My Heart,” “Another Star,” “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” “On Days Like This” and “Orange Colored Sky,” according to a Nov. 18 Linfield press release.

“I try to pick a wide variety of style so that students get exposed to as many varieties of Jazz as possible,” Libonati said.

The Jazz Band will perform “Donna Lee,” “Cruisin’ for a Bluesin,” “Brush Taps,” “You and Me,” “Moonbeams,” “Omaha,” “Bari, Bari Good” and “Polka Dots,” according to the press release.

Junior Jessie Goergen will open the show singing in a jazz combo with senior Ryan Dickman on saxophone and Libonati on piano.

Goergen said she will sing the songs “Angel Eyes,” “Fallen“ and “It Don’t Mean a Thing.”

“For each of the songs, it requires a different character to get into,” she said.

Goergen said that, for her, the most exciting part of performing is standing up in front of people and communicating her love and passion for music.

“I just want people to really take advantage of this,” Goergen said referring to the concert.

For more information about the concert, contact the Department of Music at 503-883-2275.

Chelsea Bowen/Opinion editor
Chelsea Bowen can be reached at [email protected].