Gift drive to benefit community, children

Theta Chi Fraternity members are stationed at a collection booth in the parking lot next to Walker Hall for the 12 Days of Christmas charity gift-collection drive. The gifts are passed along to the Yamhill Community Action Partnership. Sarah Hansen/Photo editor
With only a sound system blasting Christmas music, a tent and a mobile home trailer to protect them from the elements, the fraternity members of the Theta Chi fraternity are collecting gifts for charity in the parking lot next to Walker Hall.
For 12 days, from Nov. 29 to Dec. 10, the Theta Chi fraternity members are manning a 24-hout booth.
Theta Chi has partnered for the second year with the Yamhill Community Action Partnership.
The fraternity members collect toys and other gifts, and even take requests from children through YCAP.
Sophomores Kyle Pfeifer and Robert Nix and junior Eric Anderson sat in the booth at 8 p.m. Dec. 1.
“It was kind of slow in the beginning because people were taking things from the tree,” Anderson said. “It’s always slow in the beginning, but the turnout is always good.”
The tree Anderson referenced was a small, fake tree sitting on the donation table with wish lists from underprivileged children.
Anderson said the tree was nearly filled to capacity with requests, but the tree was almost empty by Dec. 3.
“A lot of people have been taking slips from the tree,” Pfeifer said.
People who take the slips, Anderson said, either returned the slips with the requested gifts or take care of things themselves.
If hunting down a gift takes too long, Anderson said that there would be more collections at the Field House on Dec. 18.
The gift must be accompanied by the request slip so workers can send the package to the right person.
YCAP is supplying the requests in their gift-tag form, he said.
Anderson said that the Theta Chi Fraternity members often take slips from the tree and he encouraged others to do the same.
“We’ll take new clothing, old clothing, books, anything,” he said.
The event was organized by Theta Chi’s philanthropy chair, junior Justin Williams.
In an e-mail, Williams said he was working with Alexis Powell of YCAP, which allowed them to make donations of gifts instead of being restricted to monetary donations.
Theta Chi Fraternity is still taking money and donates it to YCAP to be distributed to the community.
Before partnering with YCAP, the donations went to the McMinnville Food Bank, the McMinnville School District, Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, the Oregon Health and Science University and the Kids on the Block program, an after school enrichment program for children sponsored by the city of McMinnville, Williams said in an e-mail.
Theta Chi Fraternity began doing the 12 Days of Christmas charity event because it helps the community outside of McMinnville, and signified the Christmas spirit, Williams said.
“It’s how we want Theta Chi Fraternity to be portrayed,” Williams said in an e-mail.

Joshua Ensler/News editor
Joshua Ensler can be reached at [email protected].