‘Autumn Leaves’ concert is a hit despite bell theft

The Linfield Concert Band and Wind Symphony perform their fall concert “Autumn Leaves” Nov. 16 at the McMinnville First Baptist Church. Despite the theft of a student’s percussion instrument, the concert was a success. Joel Ray/For the Review

The Linfield Concert Band and Wind Symphony performed a concert titled “Autumn Leaves” at the McMinnville First Baptist Church on Nov. 16.
The showcase included a variety of pieces led by guest conductor Jay Chen, who has experience in education and performance.
“It was a good chance to play music in the area,” sophomore Wes Yurovachak said.
The concert was sponsored by the Department of Music and was free and open to the public.
There were three segments in the program including two performances by the Concert Band and one by the Wind Symphony.
The Concert Band opened with “Lux Aurumque” by Eric Whitacre. Then it performed “Russian Christmas” by Alfred Reed.
The Wind Symphony performed “Petite Symphonie in Db Major” by Charles Gounod. The Concert Band closed the recital with “The Sweet of Old American Dances” by Robert Russel Bennet and “Autumn Leaves” by Johnny Merser.
Several music students attended the concert.
“My favorite song was ‘Russian Christmas,’” freshman Joe Komarek said. “Out of all the pieces, that one sounded the most polished.”
Behind the scenes, however, freshman percussionist Will Chou ran into trouble.
“I was supposed to play percussion for the band, but I didn’t get to play because someone stole my instrument. This is the second time,” Chou said. “We had to file a police report, and we will be questioned.”
The stolen instrument was a bell that belonged to the college.
Other performers had positive outlooks on the success of the concert.
“The concert went fine. I play the trombone for the Concert Band. I felt that the Whitacre piece went really well,” senior Cameron Carr said.
“Jay is a good conductor, and we are lucky to have him. He came up here every Tuesday from Oregon State University. Joan Poddack will be back next term,” Carr said.
For more information about the Concert Band and the Wind Symphony, visit www.linfield.edu/music.

Chelsea Ploof/For the Review
Chelsea Ploof can be reached at [email protected].