Professor co-edits book on bicycle philosophy

Jesus
Linfield Assistant Philosophy Professor Jesús Ilundáin-Agurruza published a six-part book of essays in August 2010.
The book, Cycling — Philosophy for Everyone: A Philosophical Tour de Force, was co-edited by Ilundáin-Agurruza and Associate Professor of Philosophy Michael Austin from Eastern Kentucky University, according to a press release from Linfield College website.
Production began in the spring of 2008, and the book was completed one year later, Ilundáin-Agurruza said.
According to the press release, “The book wheels its way through the terrain of life’s more complicated philosophical questions, with essayists covering everyone from Lance Armstrong to Socrates, and discussing cycling’s identity crisis, ethical issues related to success, women bikers, critical mass rides and the environment.”
Ilundáin-Agurruza said that philosophy can be looked at as a way of thinking more carefully and deeply.
“It’s a different rhythm of thinking,” Ilundáin-Agurruza said, referring to his experience with looking at cycling from a philosophical angle. “It’s related to meditation.”
Ilundáin-Agurruza said that virtually anything a person is interested in can be viewed as a philosophy. For example, there can be a tennis, golf or running philosophy, he said.
It’s most meaningful when it’s connected to things you care about,” Ilundáin-Agurruza said, referring to the concept of philosophy.
Ilundáin-Agurruza has been a dedicated cyclist for 18 years. His first serious interest in cycling came after he suffered from a knee injury, he said. Cycling helped his knee grow stronger.
On top of cycling being a way of life, he has been racing since he was in graduate school. According to the press release, he “competes as a category two racer.”
Even though Ilundáin-Agurruza owns a car, he said he prefers to commute by bicycle unless he has to travel somewhere such as the airport.
“The bicycle is the most effective vehicle.” Ilundáin-Agurruza said.
As far as expectations for his book, Ilundáin-Agurruza said that he hopes it becomes popular within bicycle circles.
“It has something to offer to racers and commuters,” Ilundáin-Agurruza said.
For more information about Cycling — Philosophy for Everyone: A Philosophical Tour de Force, contact professor Ilundáin-Agurruza at [email protected]

Chelsea Bowen/Opinion editor
Chelsea Bowen can be reached at [email protected].