Fraternity members move out for safety

Dominic Baez

Managing editor

Despite the rumors running rampant on campus, Pi Kappa Alpha’s fraternity house is not condemned but deep in a highly needed renovation.

With no sanctions from either the city or the school, the choice to restrict live-ins was a choice made by the fraternity members and its housing corp., senior Nathan Solly, president of tPi Kappa Alpha, said.

The house is still open for brotherhood meetings and social events. For example, the house was open for the Graffiti Party, which was permitted by the college.

Solly said most major issues, such as the first floor bathroom and electrical problems, have been taken care of. All that remains are minor details and expansive renovation projects, such as the roof, which will take time, he said.

“There are some things we can’t do by ourselves, such as the roof,” Solly said. “Our housing corps has the funds needed to hire people for that.”

The goal is to complete all changes by next semester so fraternity members can move back into the main house, Solly said.

The two annexes are available for members to live in. The main house is restricted to just one person, who serves as a guard against theft and accidents.

“Our housing corps made this decision,” Solly said. “Only one guy will live in right now until renovations are complete.” Solly said the situation has not adversely affected the fraternity.

“Those who wanted to live in the house got to. Instead of living in one of the main rooms, though, they are living in the annexes.”

One of the major hurdles was cleaning everything, Solly said. The ensuing sweep of the house resulted in two full trash containers.

On Sept. 22, the house will go under inspection by a representative from the fraternity’s housing corps, Director of Residence Life Jeff Mackay and Dean of Students Dave Hansen. They will check on the progress that has beenmade and what remains to be done.

The fraternity will need its housing corps approval before members can start moving back into the house.

“It’s not quite ready [to] live in. But this just shows us that our housing corps is serious about us staying up on [maintaining] our house,” Solly said.