Sculpture display shows unique architectural pieces

Junior Alison Pate observes a construction structure created by professional artist David Corbett at his gallery opening on Oct. 20 in the Linfield Fine Art Gallery. Katie Paysinger/Senior photographer
Students attended a reception featuring the work of Chicago artist David Corbett in the Linfield Fine Art Gallery on Oct. 20.
Corbett’s work illustrates the artistic structure in buildings and architecture. His art visually exemplified the process of how structures were built and formed.
“David is a very unique artist. He has a unique style. I think it’s a great opportunity for art students and students at Linfield,” Cris Moss, gallery director and instructional associate, said.
Moss said he has been following Corbett’s work and progress since his last appearance at Linfield in 2007.
Corbett has been in practice since 1994. His artwork is sometimes described as minimalist, but his sculptures are fairly new.
The exhibit featured Corbett’s recent sculptures, which were all focused on the elements of construction.
Corbett will give a lecture at the end of October or early November. His presentation will focus on his creative process, and he will discuss the elements involved in producing artistic pieces.
The Fine Art Gallery is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.
For more information about the art gallery, visit www.linfield.edu/art or contact Moss at 503-833-2380.

Chelsea Ploof/Freelancer
Chelsea Ploof can be reached at [email protected].