School should charge bikers like drivers

If you have a car on campus, we’re sure that at least one time or another you felt like it was a hassle. With paying for a parking badge, registering your car and dealing with finding parking that isn’t clear out in no man’s land, it’s enough to make your head spin.
However, bikers have practically no hassle compared with drivers. They are not responsible for registering their bicycles or for paying a yearly
fee for keeping a bike on campus. Also, they are not ticketed when they park in illegal areas, such as on residence hall stairways.
There needs to be an abrupt change regarding bicycle policy on campus.
Revenue needs to be generated to fund the campus’ bike racks. Drivers pay for parking. Have bikers register their bicycles for a fee to pay for their parking accommodations. Since bikers are not currently paying to keep their bikes on campus, funds must be coming from other resources right now.
Director of Facilities & Auxiliary Services Brad Sinn said in an e-mail that the Associate Students of Linfield College funded one bike rack last year, and the Advisory Committee on the Environment and sustainability footed the bill for two.
Sinn also said in his e-mail that bicycle use has increased on the campus as well as on other college campuses in the past two years.
Requiring the bikers to pay for bike-related accommodations is a more sustainable business model. You have to re-apply for grants and gifts. But yearly bike registration offers an ongoing fund for maintenance and upkeep of accommodations, just like drivers pay for vehicle-related accommodations such as overnight campus parking spaces.
Similarly, give biker’s tickets for locking their bikes up illegally or for moving violations. They need to obey bike road rules.
Let’s have bikers take some responsibility when it comes to having their bikes on campus.

-The Review Editorial Board