Orchestra auditions name concert soloists

The Linfield Chamber Orchestra held auditions for its upcoming orchestra series Oct. 8 in Ice Auditorium.
Winners of the Concerto Competition will perform with the LCO for its concert “Revel” on Dec. 3. The Concerto Competition takes place biannually in Ice.
Auditions lasted 15 minutes and each participant introduced and selected a piece compatible with an orchestra accompaniment. Singers were required to perform an aria or duet while instrumentalists prepared one or more concerto movements.
There were six participants. Junior Jeremy Moll won the voice competition and senior Ryan Dickman won over the judges with his saxophone playing.
Orchestra conductor Michael Gesme, who has headed the LCO for seven seasons, was one of three judges of the auditions.
“We showed up to Ice all dressed up, and we performed our pieces,” Moll said. “We found out later that day who had won via e-mail.”
Sophomore Jenaveve Linabary and senior Helen Kehoe were the other competitors for the vocal portion. Seniors Tracy Beaver and Audrey Rasmussen auditioned for the instrumental solo.
Moll will sing “Bella siccome un angelo” from Donizetti’s Don Pasquale, and Dickman will play his saxophone in the concert with the LCO. Rehearsals with the LCO begin in November.
Besides holding auditions, the LCO is performing its first orchestra concert, “Celebration,” at 8 p.m. Oct. 22 in Ice Auditorium.
This year the LCO celebrates its 20th season.
The orchestra allows talented musicians to enhance their musical skills and perform with famous musicians. At its first concert, the orchestra will perform a wide range of music including pieces by famous classical composers Franz Xavier Richter, Jean Sibelius and Antonin Dvorak.
Concertmaster Steven Shepherd and Assistant Concertmaster Casey Bozell will play a piece together composed by Katherine Hoover.
Freshman Lauren Pak is a member of the LCO.
“I play the violin. We’ve had two practices. It’s a great experience to play among professional musicians,” Pak said.
To find more information about the orchestra go to www.lcomusic.org/.

Chelsea Ploof/Freelancer
Chelsea Ploof can be reached at [email protected].