Waffles are better without the iron attached

I like to go to brunch. I like waking up late and eating at 11 or 12. The food in Dillin also seems better than normal. Maybe it’s the chocolate chip pancakes, the omelet or the eggs shaped like legos. Yeah, the eggs look weird, but they taste good. Regardless, I enjoy brunch.
My favorite part of brunch is making waffles. I like that you can make your own waffle with either wheat or vanilla waffle mix and put any kind of topping you want on it.
The only problem is the waffle irons. They never seem to work. You can’t make a waffle without it sticking to the pan.
What’s the solution then? Spray the waffle iron. That’s exactly the problem. The Dillin staff tells you not to use vegetable oil, so you use the special waffle iron spray to spray down the waffle iron. You carefully pour in just the right amount of waffle mixture in so that it doesn’t overflow. After about 3 minutes, you flip the iron back over and try to open it. Not only does the waffle stick, but the iron doesn’t even open. You attempt to use a fork to pry the waffle from the machine. It won’t budge.
The special waffle iron spray they tell you to use actually made the problem worse.
When you finally get your waffle out, it’s in pieces. Well, that’s just great. Nobody goes to the waffle station to get a waffle salad. This happens quite often. In fact, it probably happens every weekend. Why doesn’t the special waffle iron spray work?
Someone told me it was the type of waffle mixture I was using. I don’t think that’s all of it. I’ve used both vanilla and wheat waffles, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference as to which sticks more.
No, I think it’s the quality of the waffle irons. I feel like we are wasting more food and more spray than it’s worth. I estimate we go through a bottle of spray per waffle iron in one weekend.
I think we need new waffle irons. It’s probably not on the top of the list of Dillin’s priorities, but I think it would prevent wasting food and the waffle iron spray.

Photo editor/Sarah Hansen can be reached at [email protected].