It’s OK to burst your isolation bubble now and then

“With Chinese food and karaoke, I had fun with my amazing friends tonight.” That’s kind of the way we usually say it on Facebook, not in an opinion story, right? However, for me this was more than a typical Saturday night. I say this because I regard it as victory — a victory against isolation.
Being away from a residence hall room this year and being away from plain Dillin food, I should be happy living in my apartment in the Whites. But I am not.
My small residence hall room let me communicate with my neighbors more; Dillin tables let me see my friends more often.
Junior year began busily, and I always go to “two points and one line” — the place I have classes or study to the place I live, or vice versa. I actually hate it when professors ask how the weekend was, because all I can answer is, “good.”
I thought I was only like that during the first week I hadn’t seen my friends, because there’s always that damn stereotype in my mind of being a foreigner.
I still remember the first colloquium class two years ago. It was the first morning I had been in the Uni ted States after a 17-hour flight with suitcases that were heavier than me and millions of stereotypes about America and Americans. I was late for my first class and stood behind the door looking at my high-nose classmates. The professor found me and specially introduced me to the class, announcing that I am from China. I was thinking they should have applauded to welcome me, as I did in high school for American exchange students. But they didn’t.
Well, you must think I am complaining about culture shock, or even discrimination, right? No, not at all. Now I thank them for not making me “too special.”
I don’t want to answer the question if “too special” would isolate me, but I know I am not the only one who feels isolated to a certain degree.
During the second week of this semester, I started to meet my friends in Renshaw Hall (as it becomes a good place to meet people besides Dillin). I realized that they, too, go “two points and one line.” We stopped our busy schedules and finally talked with one another.
“I am not a party animal.”
“I am tired of meeting many new people.”
“I am frustrated by all my homework and assignments.”
“I am working on my scholarship applications.”
We realized that we’re all too busy to socialize, but we all know those are not excuses for us to become isolated, as we are juniors and seniors living in apartments.
The way we prove that we are not isolated doesn’t have to involve crazy behaviors.

Jaffy Xiao/Features editor
Jaffy Xiao can be reached at [email protected].