Semesters foster procrastination and burn-outs

With the last semester of the year coming to a close, I can’t help but feel a little burnt out with my classes. It’s not that the courses I’m taking aren’t interesting and engaging but rather that I have spent too much time focusing on the same courses and the same material.

At my former college, the school year was divided up in terms, with three terms in one school year. I think that, with this system, I was in a course long enough to learn the subject matter without it becoming tiring or overbearing. When a term was over, it was just the right time for me to be ready to begin a new class and to be exposed to new material, projects, and assignments.

Now that I have come to Linfield, I feel like I’m going to die from information overload after a semester finally comes to a close.

I can’t help but wish Linfield would adopt the ever so popular term system that numerous community colleges and state universities follow school year after school year.

I think that if Linfield adopted the term system, many students wouldn’t become discouraged by feeling like their classes are never ending. This is especially true if students are taking a full schedule of challenging courses that are needed to fulfill requirements for their major or minor.

Also, I feel that adopting the term system would cause fewer students to fall prey to the horror of procrastinations. I know when I feel that I have a lengthy amount of time to improve a grade or turn in projects, then it is easier for me to put off work until a later date. If students know they have a short amount of time to complete assignments and to earn the grade they are after, they are more apt to stay on the ball from the get go and not procrastinate, which definitely comes back to haunt college students, as I’m sure we all been exposed to at one time or another.

I don’t know if Linfield will ever change its policy and upgrade from the semester system to the term system, but it is definitely an interesting idea to consider.

Chelsea Bowen can be reached at [email protected]

Chelsea Bowen, opinion editor

[email protected]