Students jazz up Ice at annual concert

The Linfield and McMinnville communities were swept away from reality and ushered into an evening devoted to jazz at Jazz Night on May 14.

Double Vision Jazz Choir and the Linfield Jazz Band put on a fantastic show during the concert in Ice Auditorium.

John Prutsman, a Linfield alumnus and vocalist, said hearing Double Vision was enjoyable and that the concert may have topped all others.

“The music selection was wonderful,” he said. “The blend and balance of the parts (what is referred to in barbershop-style singing as singing in the fabric) was excellent.”

The event is popular with students and community members who enjoy listening to jazz music. There is generally a large turnout, Administrative Coordinator Donna Root said.

“I have gone to all of the Jazz Night concerts since I have worked at Linfield,” she said.

Root has worked in the Department of Music for more than 25 years.

Sophomore Jeremy Moll created a jazz choir arrangement of Michael Bublé’s “Haven’t Met You Yet.”

To Moll, Jazz Night is about leaving stress behind and singing music that he loves. The importance of events of a similar nature is derived from their ability to rekindle the joy and love he said he has for creating music.

“I think our enjoyment of singing and making music stands out to the audience,” he said.

Junior Matt Moss, a tenor saxophone player, said that the Jazz Band played songs with a higher level of difficulty this year than in previous years.

“Tenor Madness” was among the songs performed. It featured Moss and junior tenor saxophone player Ryan Dickman. The Jazz Band also played a Tower of Power funk tune titled “What is Hip?”

“The Jazz Band always seems to pull itself together just before the concert,” Moss said. “I couldn’t be happier with how it sounded.”

The two ensembles coalesce to give a concert at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters. The students worked all semester for this one concert, Adjunct Professor of Music Dana Libonati said.

“They really knocked it out of the park,” he said. “I couldn’t have been more proud of their musicianship and savvy on stage. It is so much fun to work with all of them.”

Septembre Russell

Copy chief

Septembre Russell can be reached at [email protected]