New forum promotes campus political discussion

Casey Tharp

If you have ever wanted to question a candidate, reply to a reporter or have a say in where this country is headed, now is your chance to be vocal.            

At YourThreeCents.com, a Web site founded by recent graduates of four different colleges, students can post their opinions on anything from the presidential election to abortion rights to the green movement.

“This site is the perfect place for Americans and elected officials to go in order to see what this generation is thinking,” Laura Neroulias, co-founder of YourThreeCents.com, said. “We are an Internet-based generation and can spread the word faster to make a dramatic change in our nation’s politics.”

Neroulias said the future of our world revolves around politics, and there was no specific forum devoted to hearing what America’s youth had to say politically.

The site chose Linfield as its featured college for the week of May 11 to 17. Neroulias said she wanted a college with a reputation for intellectual, politically active students. It also has to do with timing.

“The Oregon primary is right around the corner,” Neroulias said. “People all over the world are so interested in what the candidates are doing and what your opinions are as college students and as the future.”

Neroulias said the site takes pride in not censoring anything, including offensive things, calling it the “Independent, unedited voice!”

“We do not and will not edit anything, and we feel that there will be no issues because Generation Y’s opinions count for a lot,” Neroulias said.

Visiting Political Science Professor Nick Buccola said the freedom and anonymity of the Internet is appealing, but its uncensored nature allows for the spread of misinformation.

“On the whole it is a good thing,” he said. “But in a democracy, you’re going to have people saying silly things. The hope is that people are wise enough to distinguish the truth.”

Buccola said elected officials or candidates might be looking at sites such as YourThreeCents.com, but most analysts will use more scientific data, such as polls, to make decisions. The main benefits of such a site would be in the conversation itself, and he said he would recommend it to his students.

“Linfield students have strong opinions,” Buccola said. “Any opportunity to express yourself in a public forum like that is productive for you as a citizen.”

One of the criticisms of American politics is that it is excessively narrow, Buccola said, and a site like
YourThreeCents.com is a chance for students to test the boundaries. Even wrong ideas can be useful in doing this, he said, in that anything you disagree with is an opportunity to solidify and rethink your opinions.

“It’s like a refresh button; it forces you to re-examine your own commitments and why you believe what you do,” he said

Neroulias said she sees the site as an incredible opportunity for Linfield students.    

“We encourage everyone to sign up on YourThreeCents.com as soon as they can,” Neroulias said. “When students are aware that their opinions are going to be seen nationwide, they know that this opportunity is a great way for people to take a stand.”

The full interview with Neroulias can be found online at www.linfield.edu/linfield-review/index.php.