‘Carousel’ cast spins audience out of modernity

Linfield students and community members alike joined forces to perform Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Carousel,” which opened April 23 in the Gallery Theater. Complete with costumes, a hand-painted backdrop and energetic cast members, the production created a new reality for the audience’s observation.
A small group of musicians played live music for the show, sitting to the side of the stage in the Gallery Theater. The group included senior Alexandria Hill, juniors Tracy Beaver and Audrey Rasmussen and freshman Zoe Rozzi.
Among the key roles were Billy Bigelow, Carrie Pipperidge and Julie Jordan, played by senior Andrew Pohl and sophomores Chelsea Janzen and Kayla Wilkens, respectively. Each Linfield student brought great vocal prowess to the production.
“I liked the fact that the show had a lot of Linfield students in it,” freshman Stephanie Raso said. “The students were talented and the singing was amazing.”
The show began with a scene of music and action but no words. Although somewhat lengthy for some audience members’ taste, the scene helped set the stage, so to speak, allowing the audience to acclimate to the setting of “Carousel,” a world much different than modern times. With each song, however, the plot gained speed.
The second act was set 15 years after the first act, and the costuming created a convincing display.
“The costumes were helpful for understanding the time frame,” Raso said.
Overall, audience and cast members felt the show was a success.
“I’m really pleased with how it’s going, and there are a lot of professional qualities in this production,” Wilkens said. “I’m really proud of the culmination of our efforts.”
Remaining performances are set for May 1-2 and 7-8. Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m., and the Sunday show begins at 3 p.m.
Tickets are $13 for students and seniors and $15 for general admission. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Gallery Theater box office at 503-472-2227 or at the theater before the show.
Amanda Summers
Copy editor Amanda Summers can be reached at [email protected]