Giving back after passing on: a cause for organ donation

There are people who change lives, and there are people who save lives. Also, there are people who do both. There are people who fight until the end for the things they are passionate about. When such people leave this earth, others must continue the fight.
An incredible person passed away March 27, 2010. Eva Markvoort was an inspiration to many as an advocate for organ donation and cystic fibrosis awareness. She encouraged all near her to love and appreciate every breath.
In 2007, Eva received a double lung transplant and was given a second chance at life. She could finally do things she had only dreamt of. Because of this, she did not leave this earth without first getting the chance to fully live before going into chronic rejection.
All the work she did cannot be forgotten and must be continued. In honor of Eva, I advocate for organ donation and am presently working on contacting organizations that focus on this cause.
Are you registered to be an organ donor?
Nobody likes to talk or think about the fact that someday each and every one of us will die. However, your last act could be that of saving several lives. If someone else can get a second chance at life by receiving my organs when I can no longer use them, then they are more than welcome to them.
The way I see it, no matter the circumstances of your passing, some good can be gleaned from it if you are an organ donor. Why not allow your death to provide new life? Recycling is rather popular these days; organs should not be forgotten in this regard.
According to the Pacific Northwest Transplant Bank Web site, one donor can save or enhance as many as 50 lives. Solid organs (the heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, pancreas and intestines) can help up to eight people. Whether your organs are fit for transplant use is determined at time of death, so individuals are encouraged to register as organ donors regardless of current health problems.
As of April 8, there were 106,913 organ transplant waiting list candidates in the United States according to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. OPTN also reports that 2,198 transplants were performed this year as of April 2. Of these, 1,682 were from deceased donors and 516 were from living donors. A living donor may donate bone marrow, one kidney or a partial liver, pancreas or lung. Blood is also included in living donation.
The shortage of organs is a problem. The only long-term solution is for more people to become donors. According to Donate Life America, another name is added to the national organ transplant list every 11 minutes. On average, 18 people die each day because of the lack of organs for transplant.
Donor registration varies from state to state.
According to Donate Life Northwest, Oregon residents can register to become organ donors one of three ways. Option one is through the Department of Motor Vehicles when you renew or receive a driver’s license or identification card. In Oregon, your decision to register as an organ donor will be shown as the letter “D” on your license, permit or identification card. However, this does not pertain to whole-body, blood or bone marrow donations. Other states, such as Washington, place a heart on your license or ID instead of a letter. My New Mexico license has a nice little heart on it for the same purpose.
Another way to join the Donor Registry is online at www.donatelifenw.org.
Third, you can download a paper form from Donate Life Northwest’s Web site or request one by calling 800-452-1369.
For information on how to register in other states, visit www.donatelife.net.
April is National Donate Life Month. Show your support for organ donation by registering today. It only takes a few minutes to register, but it will give someone another chance at life.

Amanda Summers,
copy editor Amanda Summers Amanda Summers can be reached at [email protected]

1