Rental cars give Linfield students more mobility options

Senior Aaron Cody
Senior Aaron Cody checks into a U Car Share car to run errands. Cody uses the rentals about once a month. -Paoline-Ann Abulencia/Photo editor

After its first year in partnership with Linfield, the U Car Share Program will continue providing car rentals next year.
“We were happy with the usage in the fall, so we’re planning on keeping the service,” Dan Preston, dean of enrollment services, said.
Students, faculty and McMinnville residents can register to use U Car Share. Approximately 100 people in the McMinnville area have registered to use the cars, Preston said.
The two cars available at Linfield are both PT Cruisers. Next year, U Car Share may replace them with hybrid cars or more gas-efficient vehicles, Preston said.
Preston was a key figure in the partnership with the U Car Share Program. His goal was to increase the number of transportation options available to students.
“We wanted some kind of a shuttle system, so we looked into Zipcar or van-shuttle services,” he said. “Our main goal was to increase the transportation options for students.”
The college considered other options, such as van shuttles or the Zipcar program, which is a similar to U Car Share.
“Zipcar required a minimum usage, and if that wasn’t met by students, Linfield would have to pay the difference,” Preston said.
The U Car Share program does not have minimum usage requirements for its cars at Linfield, which makes it a safe financial choice.
The bus system in McMinnville has also expanded the frequency and area of its routes.
“Between the U Car Share and the expanded bus system, students have better transportation options [than in past years],” Preston said. “Students get tired of relying on friends for rides, so this helps them.”
About half of the students own cars on campus, he said. Some students, such as senior Rebecca Fister, considered using U Car Share, but weren’t satisfied with the rental costs.
“I looked into using the U Car Share, but you have to pay per hour whether you’re out driving it or not,” Fister said. “I didn’t want to drive somewhere and then pay for it while it’s parked. The cost adds up quickly.”
Fister said she uses her bicycle when she needs groceries or has errands to run.
“I use my bike or my longboard for everything,” Fister said. “My roommates all have cars, and I usually shop with them. I don’t really think I need a car on campus.”
U Car Share charges $4.95 per hour for the cars, plus an additional 59 cents per mile. The maximum price a person will be charged is $9.25 per hour.
Students can register for the service through the U Car Share Web site, www.ucarshare.com. New members must pay a $25 sign-up fee.

Shawn Fisher
News reporter Shawn Fisher can be reached at [email protected]

1