News brief: Cultural awareness club applies for ASLC charter

Sophomore Pattie Vazquez and freshman Crystal Galarza presented background for a potential club during the Associate Students of Linfield College Senate meeting March 8, and junior Colin Jones, ASLC club director and president-elect, announced that the charter packet for the club had been reviewed.
Momiento Estudiantil Chicano Aztlan, or M.E.Ch.A., is a group that develops leaders and promotes higher education within the Latino community.
“[The group] strives to strengthen the bond between students and community,” Galarza said. “One of the aspects of M.E.Ch.A., that I believe is truly crucial, is that of striving for cultural awareness.”
Associate Professor of Spanish Sonia Ticas and Director of Multicultural Programs Barry Tucker will serve as club advisers once it receives a charter from ASLC.
“The club is open to anyone despite what their first language, country of origin or background is,” Galarza said. “The beauty of M.E.Ch.A. is that it works to unify a group into a movement of equality and acceptance.”
Vazquez and Galarza are discussing ways in which to publicize M.E.Ch.A. campus-wide.
“No matter what, Crystal and I have made it a goal to make sure to reach out to everyone, especially those who have already expressed an interest in joining,” Vazquez said.
Contact Vazquez, [email protected], or Galarza, [email protected], for additional information about M.E.Ch.A.

-By Septembre Russell