Academic adviser wins regional award

Crabtree
Crabtree. Photo by Mary Campbell

A personal and professional connection with McMinnville brought academic advisor, Ellen N. Crabtree, to Linfield. She has recently been awarded the Academic Advisor of the Year by the National Advising Association, Crabtree.
Crabtree joined the Linfield family in 2003 as assistant director of admissions.
Crabtree said she feels honored to receive the award. Linfield is in the Northwest Region with eight different states and hundreds of academic advisers vying for the award.
An important aspect of the nomination process included letters of recommendation from Linfield faculty, and the letter for her work in the academic advising office demonstrates recognition and appreciation by Linfield faculty.
“If anyone deserves to be Academic Advisor of the Year, it’s Ellen,” Jessica Ouelletta, a 2009 Colloquim adviser, said. “Her interactions with students are usually during a student’s most stressful times, and she has a way of making everything work out in the end.”
For Crabtree, being an academic adviser does not only mean giving academic advice to students. The job also involves being a mentor students.
“I feel appreciated and guided through all different aspects of college in my first year, and academic advising really help me survive it,” freshman Stephanie Raso, an advisee of Crabtree, said.

Linh Tang
Freelancer Linh Tang can be reached at [email protected]